Team Chevelle banner

Buffalo Area Members how are you dealing with the latest Snow Storm ?

1620 49
I just saw that Buffalo had up to 6 feet of snow recently and I'm hoping that most TC members are OK. Gene,you OK ???
That kind of snow amounts has to be lake effect snow but jeez when we get 2 feet plus its bad here but how the heck do you deal with 6 feet of snow ?

I hope most of our Buffalo people are safe at home waiting for this storm to move on.
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Dang man. My buddy had a "stoned thought" of putting a "salamander" in our attic and melting the stuff off! Well, I aint stoned but even that craziness beats getting up on the roof. At 61 yrs, I'm not " airborne" qualified anymore.

PS I tried to replace my fubar'd snow rake years ago , to no avail. I ordered this 30' snow rake bad boy - YESTERDAY! Amazon got drone delivery yet?

I have that one it works amazing but my brother has it today. I can get it back if you want to use it. Works great on the garage and will work on a 2 story in theory… but it’s difficult with 3 poles at about 25 ft and extremely difficult after moving it (arms are dead). Back and forth removing is ok but it’s picking it off the roof to move it. Almost impossible with all 5 poles and about 40 ft to reach the second story. Two pounds on the end of a 40 foot pole plus some snow is very heavy. It’s really not even possible to lift unless you someone added sections while somehow supporting it on the way up. Actually I have 6 poles 8 ft. I think it’s close to 100 lbs of force to lift at the end.

·
Premium Member
24,698 Posts
Yeah, no fun indeed. I'm jumping in the woods this am, but have "roof duty" to deal with later.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
A co worker is from Buffalo. his parents still live there. 6 1/2 feet. I think his dad is 83, canceled his snowplow guy, and just handles it himself with a blower. To them, its really not that out of the norm, i mean, yeah, this was a huge storm, but its kinda what happens there.
In PA where i live, its a huge deal with 3". I also have this weekend place up in northern PA, where it does typically snow a decent amount, just due to the elevation. I used to think people that lived there were of a hearty breed, and just took snow in stride. Couldnt be further from the truth. Bunch of pansies up there as well, where all they do is complain about snow, and that thier road isnt plowed to the asphalt 10 minutes after it stops snowing.

I think when i was in Crested Butte CO last year, they were somewhere around 300 inches for the year. i had a pic of my friends driveway, that had piles of snow up to the roof of her Jeep. i cant find it now, but snow happens.

·
Premium Member
24,698 Posts
I laugh as when I had this notion of moving to 7000-9000' out west ( somewhere very like Crested Butte) this wouldn't have been a big deal, "thundersnow" or not. 3-5' that is.

OF course then again, the "snow razr" cnx lent me would work MINT in western powder. Ours is wet and heavy and compresses greatly upon landfall, so hard to "razor" thru as my shoulders found out yesterday. After only 20 minutes!

and here i go again....for more "roof razoring"! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I laugh as when I had this notion of moving to 7000-9000' out west ( somewhere very like Crested Butte) this wouldn't have been a big deal, "thundersnow" or not. 3-5' that is.

OF course then again, the "snow razr" cnx lent me would work MINT in western powder. Ours is wet and heavy and compresses greatly upon landfall, so hard to "razor" thru as my shoulders found out yesterday. After only 20 minutes!

yeah she is a ….. but worth the money.

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
Ours is coming but usually not till after the New year... then end of Jan through Feb we get hit... but waaaay up here in Canada on the right side of the Rockies... the west side... we have nothing but clear skies and sun...for now... It's coming this weekend... where .5 inch stops everything... Just back from -12C Ex in the mountains...Survival Exercise. for new recruits.
It was cold but quiet save for the Coyotes... Good luck to you on the other side of North America... I dislike the snow but it is essential for our water...so pile it up and maybe sell it to those in Florida as Pure water you can eat!

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
That beats a snow blower for sure. I regret selling the 8' by 29" tall plow I had on my truck. Snow removal for me sucks these days. What brand/model 4-wheeler is that?
2020 suzuki king quad 750. I added grip warmers and a thumb warmer. Bigger meatier tires and rims. Definitely a lot more fun to clear snow. I help out a couple of my neighbors too.

·
Premium Member
8,887 Posts
Everybody complains about the weather, but nobody does anything about it.

What gets me is every year I rake the leaves like crazy so I don't end up raking in the snow. Futility! This year the snow hit and 6 bags worth of leaves fell from my maple onto and intermixed with the snow. I waited a few days and the snow melted, allowing me to do what I love. :rolleyes:

I'm not going to complain. All seasons are good, I don't care. When it snows, dig out the skis! I've skied a bunch in WNY in Ellicottville & near Springville. Winters are long if you hate it, but if you ski the season goes fast.

Buffalo gets dumped on because if lake effect snow from Lake Ontario doesn't get them, then Lake Erie does. I live minutes from Lake Ontario and often see clouds over it on frigid days, signaling that again Western New York is getting hammered.

Here's an old B&W pic from the blizzard of '77. It doesn't show how bad it got. Dad's '70 Biscayne 3-in-the-tree was doing winter service:

·
Premium Member
24,698 Posts
I should get a sled; I can't ski due to my fubar'd knees. I do have a 1964 Elky to start "recommissioning", which will take some of my winter blues away.

PS a week out from the event, and much of the snow has melted.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts