Team Chevelle banner

Buffalo Area Members how are you dealing with the latest Snow Storm ?

1663 49
I just saw that Buffalo had up to 6 feet of snow recently and I'm hoping that most TC members are OK. Gene,you OK ???
That kind of snow amounts has to be lake effect snow but jeez when we get 2 feet plus its bad here but how the heck do you deal with 6 feet of snow ?

I hope most of our Buffalo people are safe at home waiting for this storm to move on.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Premium Member
1,093 Posts
1" will stop folks around here! :rolleyes:

I lived in Erie PA for 2 years back in college days. During my first year up there, the week between chrismas and new years it snowed 80 inches - about 2 feet every night. But it was warm enough that a substantial amount melted during the day before the next blast.

· Premium Member
15,216 Posts
The lake effect stuff is crazy. I’ve been in Erie PA when the snow was 10 ft high on the side of the road where the plows threw it. Also on the actual lake where the waves kept freezing as they hit the beach and there was a 12 ft high wall of ice.

· Premium Member
11,877 Posts
Sunny and 80 degrees here in Southeast Florida.

Wish you were all here!

You guys are all welcome to drop by.

· Registered
1966 Chevelle SS396
1,383 Posts
1" will stop folks around here! :rolleyes:

I lived in Erie PA for 2 years back in college days. During my first year up there, the week between chrismas and new years it snowed 80 inches - about 2 feet every night. But it was warm enough that a substantial amount melted during the day before the next blast.
Did you attend Mercyhurst College? I was a student there in '88-89.

· Premium Member
1,423 Posts
I grew up and lived in Syracuse NY until 2014, and this seems like a lot to me, so I do hope everyone is well. Tug hill was about and hour north of Syr and they would get this amount all the time, located at the west end of lake Ontario. They would say 12-18" in Syr and Tug Hill would be like 24-48"...just crazy snow. This is probably going to be a record for them.

· Registered
121 Posts
I grew up and lived in Syracuse NY until 2014, and this seems like a lot to me, so I do hope everyone is well. Tug hill was about and hour north of Syr and they would get this amount all the time, located at the west end of lake Ontario. They would say 12-18" in Syr and Tug Hill would be like 24-48"...just crazy snow. This is probably going to be a record for them.
I used to live in Rochester NY and would drive to Watertown through Oswego and Tug Hill Plateau. I would get stuck in stop and go on the highway many times in storms. I learned to keep my gas tank above 1/2 all the time as I almost ran out once even though I started the traffic jam with >1/2 tank. I basically sat there barely/slowly moving for 3 hours with car idling. I also learned to keep 4 jugs of washer fluid in trunk at all times in winter - I would sometimes go through 2-3 gals on a 3 hours drive from all the road spray. Fun times!! I had a company car and my boss would joke that my expense report had the most washer fluid on it of any sales rep he had ever seen. However, he understood as he used to live out there also.

· Premium Member
10,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well that's at least one of the snow area TCers so who's next to chip in ?

· Premium Member
24,716 Posts
Thanks for posting pics Tom. Just another once -in-while THUNDER SNOW event here in Da Buff. What a PITA. and we pay high taxes for our street not being cleared yet. The main road 200 yards up the street is clear, but not our dead end. Dead end indeed.

How is it?

OPENING DAY SUCKS when you can't leave the house. I kept at the driveway so as to not overload the snow blower. But we havent seen a plow yet, so now its front loader territory; no 2 wheel drive plow will move this stuff. I hope we're out by tomorrow, but I am not betting on it. I've already sent our remote invites for my meetings monday. :(

and I hope some evaporation happens in the next few days or I have a roof to clear.

Good news: wife can snow shoe around the house and up the street like its a trip to the Rockies. And we havent had a power loss, which is key.

Bad news: really wish I had a sled! Although I don't think even mountain sleds can run thru 5' of fresh snow like this.

I though about posting about it, but saw Jim Mac's thread about a rotten fuel line and thought I shouldn't be sqwaking all over social media about nothing. Thunder snow par for the course around here.

Thing is, its not snowing 25 miles south where we hunt. So yesterday, junior rucked up his hunting gear, rifle and strapped snowshoes on to make it 200 yards up the road so his buddy could pick him up to go hunting. As I said the main road is clear.

What's so bad about getting stuck at home with wifey for 72+ hours? This aint no stupid Florida hurricane.

It is called "heart attack" snow, and I have been trying my darnest to stress the ol ticker out! If it dont kill ya, it makes you stronger right!? Heck yeah!

· Premium Member
24,716 Posts
What's wierd about the VERY localized snowfalls is that CNX lives maybe 1/4 to 1/2 mile up the main road from me; he is free but we will be awaiting the green ANG front loaders to clear our street. My mom lives across the county and has maybe 8" ( inches not feet!) of snow.

That's why they called up the ANG, for their equipment ! I am praying for a green machine to show up soon!

Last time this happened, the neighborhood was able to clear the road with our own snowblowers - this stuff is too heavy and wet for that to work, but if no green machines show up by mid morning.....we may be out in unison !

1 - 20 of 50 Posts