Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wet sanding the clear flat with 2000 grit how do you know when your getting close to braking thru the clear and should stop and be happy with a little orange peel left? before buff and polishing:confused:

· Registered
523 Posts
how much clear did you put on? coats? high solids? brand?usually just sand til shiny spots are gone for some peel then buff.

· Registered
283 Posts
If you put on at least 2-3 good coats of clear, you should be okay. I'd personally sand until the orange peel is gone...it will save a lot of work when it comes to buffing.

Be sure to use a rubber squeegee while wet sanding, that will give you an accurate assessment if you've sanded enough.

· Registered
25 Posts
Just stay away from edges and contours while sanding cause they are covered the least and will get the brunt of the force from the buffer. Assuming 2 coats of a quality clear applied with a minimal amount of texture you should be fine. The squeegee is an absolute must. Stop when all the shiny spots are gone and this will leave very minimal texture that won't be noticeable unless you go lookin for it.

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i used ppg p390-4000 put on 2 coats then sanded flat or close to it had one break thru and a spot under the clear that didnt get paint so i dusted some color on those areas recleared the whole body with 2 more coats of clear so im a little concernd about breaking thru again i didnt know about the squeege trick i guess sand a little squeege the water off and look to see if there is any speeks left then sand some more?

· Registered
128 Posts
That's the trick exactly. If I understand correctly, you've basically got 3 coats to work with except where you sanded through. That should be plenty.
Take a little extra care where you know you have only 2 coats. If you're just knocking down orange peel you'll have plenty of paint. Once the specks are gone stop. Remember, you'll be cutting some more off when you buff. I don't know of any way to tell by looking when you're about to break through. The real problem is when you're trying to sand out a where a bug had to do the Funky Chicken before it died. When you sand through enough times you'll kinda learn what's just enough. Then it's a matter of "Can I live with that?"

· Registered
4,369 Posts
As nitetrain said, you don't know when your going to break through. I get scared buffing anybody elses paint job because you don't know how heavy they laid the clear on or how many coats. Stay off the sharp edges and never run your buffer INTO an edge. Always OFF the edge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.