Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do all bucket seat frames for 67-72 GM A-bodies, come with the necessary interior hardware to mount headrests? If not, what will be needed to convert non-headrest seats to headrest seats

------------------
Patrick, aka Merlin
1968 SS 396/325 4-Speed, White with black vinyl top & black interior.
TC#1017

·
Registered
244 Posts
With regard to 68 bucket seats, if the seats have never had headrests the hardware will not be there. Headrests were an option that year. Take the back panel off the seat and you can see if the hardware is in there. I noticed a couple of the catalogs carry the headrests and mounting hardware these days for 67, but have not seen the 68 parts yet. I've found that to get the hardware, you'll have to buy the seats. If you are real lucky the seats will have restorable headrests on them.
The 69-72 may all have the hardware because headrests were standard for those years, I think.

[This message has been edited by 68ElCamino (edited 11-28-2001).]

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
68ElCamino... Thanks for the response. When you say the hardware should be there if the seats have ever had headrests, what exactly would that hardware be?
Here is what I have... 1968 Pontiac buckets (at least the covers on them now are pontiac). With the seat back removed, I see a horizontal bracket near the top of the seat, spot welded to the frame, with two round guide holes, presumably for the headrests. What else should be there?

------------------
Patrick, aka Merlin
1968 SS 396/325 4-Speed, White with black vinyl top & black interior.
TC#1017

·
Registered
244 Posts
Merlin - With the back off the seat, look at the location where the headrest shafts would pass through the seat frame. There will be a bracket, about 3 1/2 inches wide, screwed to the frame over each of these shaft hole locations, if the bracket isn't there the screw holes should be or at least dimples in the frame to mark the spot for the screws. Mine had a piece of cardboard over this area when I took them apart (no headrests). Also, there should be a guide tube attached to these brackets inside the frame for the headrest shaft to go through, the ones I've seen were white flexible poly of some sort. The brackets are contoured to fit the shape of the seat where the shafts go through. If you have an OPG catalog, take a look at the 67 headrest kit they sell, it looks very much like this. Incidently I've never ask them if the brackets for the 67 will fit the 68. The headrests are a different shape though I think. The 68 headrests have the same shape as the 69 - 72 but have notches in the shafts to lock in up/down position, while the 69 - 72 did not.
Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts