Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm converting my '70 to bucket seats and would like someone's opinion out there on whether the factory bucket seat locations allow the seat to go back enough for my 6'4" body, or will I have to just bolt the seats to the floor a little farther back? The bench seat surely didn't go back far enough!
Thanks, Doug

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Doug,
My 70, or for that matter any of my prior Chevelles which all had bucket seats never seemed to have the clearance I wanted and I'm only 6' tall. I'd like to see another two to three inches back further. My biggest complaint is I feel like I am right ontop of the steering wheel...NASCAR style with my arms bent. Leg room could stand to improve some but maybe I've been spoiled by all the trucks I've owned since 89 with gobs of room! I would bolt them a little further back but you may need to fabricate some sort of bracket to get them to mount level. Try a dry fit before drilling any holes.
Sam

·
Registered
283 Posts
Man...do I ever feel your pain. I am 6'4" also. My 66 bench could stand to go back some more but it isnt too bad. My 72 Monte feels pretty good but that is because I am comparing it to my 68 Camaro. Just let me say that I feel like a "fat guy in a little coat" when driving it! I gotta have my seat leaned back so much to have head room that it kinda feels awkward. Best of luck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Me too. 6'3", 70 El Camino. I re-upholstered the bench. It came out nice, but now I don't fit. I am also going to go with buckets. My restore is not origional, so I will probably do some suspension race seats. I drove a 69 a few years ago with 4 point harnesses on Recaros, and an internal roll cage. It was tough to get in with the cage, but I fit.

·
Premium Member
7,589 Posts
One trick to get a little more room with the factory bucket seats is to remove the 1/2" rubber bumpers from under the seat back. THis allows the seat back to lean back another 1" or so which helps a little.

Just be sure if you mount the seats farther back that you reinforce under the floor pretty good. You don't want the bolts to pull through in case of an accident!

-Ben

·
Registered
276 Posts
I bought buckets to swap into my car - I never installed them due to the fact I saw many other chevelles and could tell from looking at them there wasnt enough room (I'm 6'5"). I am going to go with my bench for now, but I will probably drill the mounting holes (in the slider tracks not floor), back as far as possible. I think I can gain at least and inch! As for the future if the bench is still too tight I'll go with aftermarket buckets and custom tracks.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Saturday I saw a shop (F-Body's) in Riverside, Ca. that was in the process of moving the bucket seat brackets back farther for a 6 ft + owner that was not confortable in the maxed out standard sdjustment..

Surmin 69 seems to have the answer for you

1 - 12 of 12 Posts