Team Chevelle banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toying with the idea of buckets seats in my 69, but I do drive the car, sometimes up to 650 miles in a day. Will the bucket seats be comfortable?

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
96 Posts
Jim...I just switched from a stock bench to stock buckets in my 70 El Camino...the difference in comfort is negligible. The bench provides a bit more seating comfort while the bench provides a bit more lateral support. Neither seats are anything "to write home about"...the back cushion angle on the bucket seats are non-adjustable as are the bench seats(they can be permanently adjusted by bolstering the rubber bumper).
If I was going to spend a lot of time traveling in your car, I would look for a modern set of buckets to use that have adjustability and are more substantial. Good luck.
Steve G.
--------------
70 El Camino SS 396
51 Chev 3100 PU

·
Registered
74 Posts
If your also convert to floor shift there will be a lot of differences. Nothing like an individual bucket seat. You will have plenty of room for your self. Well, that will depend if you can get original buckets and restore them completelly with new springs, foam and covers. It will make you feel like in a new car!!
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
My '69 has rebuilt original buckets in it. Now after all these years of riding around in 'modern' buckets, I see (feel) how bad '69 model seats are. My ideal would be a 'modern' bucket, covered to look like originals. At least I wouldn't be "HANGIN ON" each time I took a corner, not to mention lower back support.

·
Premium Member
5,251 Posts
What seat would fit the Velles now-a-days? The buckets in my car are in terrible shape. They don't match and the guy I bought the car from said he really didn't care that they didn't match. He had the car since 1980. I bought it from him last year and the seats are nasty. Any help?

Sorry about jumping in your post and asking questions, hope you don't mind

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Originally posted by d1_bradley:
At least I wouldn't be "HANGIN ON" each time I took a corner, not to mention lower back support.
What? No seatbelts? ;) 275 lbs of "me" loves 'em just fine, 102 miles a day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We're in the process of a complete interior restoration on our 71 Camino and are considering using a Glide seat frame to replace the original bench. (http://www.glideengineering.com/products.htm) A very cool looking product, split with arm rest and adjustable, but expensive. About a grand for all the pieces. any body have any experience with this product?
Thank you

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
If you want to go with different seats, it is all up to how much you want to spend.

You can go to a junk yard and get seats pretty cheap, but nothing will just bolt right in, you will have to fab up some mounts to get it to sit level on the floor pan.

There are a bunch of aftermarket seats out there that sell mounting brackets specific to our cars, you buy their seat & the bracket, those will bolt right in.

Procar
Recaro
Flofit
Ceurillo (? sp)
Corbeau

Probably more than i am not thinking of...
Run a search in this forum for aftermarket seats. There are several folks here running various brand aftermarket seats in their cars.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I bought Corbau seats (however you spell it) They had brackets that mounted DIRECTLY to the floor for a 68-72 chevelle. The seats and brackets ran nearly 800 bucks but wow they are so comfortable i feel it was well worth it. They only have about 10 different models.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have an org. 69 and a customized 69,I used some
honda pralude? buckets early 90s, they hug you,tilt.lay dowm,have lumbar adj.short backs with tilting head rests. Had to drill one hole, bolted right in.cost me 50.00 and traded that out. HTH GoodLuck;

Troy; :D

·
Premium Member
19,947 Posts
I have late 80's Pontiac Grand Am seats in my 67 and the wife and I love 'em. My wife likes to stretch out on long trips and both seats recline. I/we think nothing of taking off to KC (450 miles), Nashville (1,000 miles), for a car show and driving 8-12 hours at a time. I recently picked up another pair for my 67 Elky. Naturally the reclining feature is moot but the seats themselves are still very comfortable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts