Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have six A-body bucket seats that I want to sort through and pick out the 2 best ones and sell the rest.

Is a spring still good if it is not broke, or can they stretch.

Is the foam the same for a Monte Carlo, Chevelle, and Grand Prix. I have 2 seat back's from a 72 Grand Prix, but I don't know if they will work because of the stiching. Are they shaped different.

I started tearing them apart, but ran into the burlap on the bottom with the fine wires running through it. Should I leave this project to the pro's.

Thanks for any input. Cal

------------------
TC Member # 1308

my trailer queen
future racer
justins 67
cals caminos web site

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
If the springs aren't broken and they still appear to be holding their original shape, then try to reuse them. Even the new ones from Year One are a pain to install, and it's very hard to make them fit right.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Randy.

Anyone know about the small wires(looks like real fine piano wire) going through the burlap on the bottom seat cusion. Is that part of the seat bealt warning system. Will it come with the new cover's. I don't know if I should tear that out, or do I need to leave it for the guy that's going to do the seats.

------------------
TC Member # 1308

my trailer queen
future racer
justins 67
cals caminos web site

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I think that might be to help keep the foam from going between the springs when someone's in the seat. I think I have it on my bench seat, I know there's some wire like you describe coming up through a tear in my seat. I hope someone else chimes in, that's a good question.

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino
Originally was & will be Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top (now black/black)
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Dual Exhaust
TH-350 - 2.73 Posi Rear - Factory PS, PDB, PW, Tilt, A/C & More
My El Camino Home Page
Other Restorations -1969 Snowco Trailer & 1967 Sears Custom 600 Tractor
Team Chevelle Member #995

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
No, the little wires in the burlap are just there for foam support.
If you get the whole seat spring assy from Y.O it really isn't too bad to install.
I went down by Tuscon last year and the Man who makes the repo foams and springs showed me how to do it properly.
When I redid my seats I took the new foams and shaped them a bit by removing about 1 inch of thickness from the middle of the bun, too give it more of a bucket. after shaping out the bottomside of the foam(spring side) I used some spray 3m glue #77 and glued some shop rags too the foam to keep it from pushing thru the springs.
Be careful using the foams from other makes and models because of the listing wires. These are the wires that run thru the cover and hog ring down thru the foam to the springs they give the stitching on the cover some added shape and help form the buckets. When the listing wires are pulled into the foam they will leave cuts or dents and this will affect the final appearance of your new covers. also some covers had listings some didn't it depended not only on make and model but also years produced.
Whatever you do dont just pitch the old bucket frames If you're gonna do that I'll pay for you to ship them to me.
I knew nothing about auto upholstry before I redid my Elky. But I can stand up and say that I did a far better job (the 4th time)on my seats than any of the 3 shops I paid to do them first.
------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
You can never fix a Ford,You can only work on them alot.
70 442
The Z-meano
Cowl induction injection

[This message has been edited by pmullaly (edited 05-30-2002).]

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guy's.

Now that's what I call a good reply Phil.
As I stated in my first post, I want to get enough good springs from all the seats, and then Sell the rest. Are you just wanting some to restore and sell. Since you say you did such a good job on yours,,maybe we could make somekind of deal, if you get my drift.
Cal

------------------
TC Member # 1308

my trailer queen
future racer
justins 67
cals caminos web site

1 - 6 of 6 Posts