Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help on these spring kits. Year One has a kit with 4 springs, they say it will do one seat. 29.95 AZ121. Paddock's kit 34.95 AC122 and I think it has 4 springs. so if I buy from Year one thats 60.00 plus shipping or 70.00 at Paddocks. Gosh, they are only springs. Any suggestions??? Where can I find them at a reasonable price. Kenny my friend at Ground Up does not carry them. I think that place is the greatest. I live in West Haven, Ct. and that place is only 25 miles from my house.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
More than likely you are looking for zig zag springs. Many local upholstery shops will carry rolls of this stuff and can sell it to by the foot. There are also suppliers of this stuff on the internet but you will have to order a lot more than you need.

When I got to this stage of the recovering process I just took the whole seat to the shop and had them do it. Avoided driving myself nuts with figuring out I need yet another part I don't have late at night when nobody is open over and over again. Not to mention that the shop was a bit off my usual beaten track.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Here is a pic of the two gauges of replacement S spring...the small gauge on the right is what you would normally use...available by the linear foot or by the roll at your local upholstery supply shop or you can order it here www.atrim.com ...if you only have a spring or two to repair this is the way to go...much frigging cheaper...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Now here is a comparison between factory and a replacement spring...notice the replacement is a tighter bend...they are stronger because of this...again if you have only one or two to replace this is the way to go...the thing pictured is an element of a 70 velle bucket seat top that will eventually end up in a LS6 after a lot more work...notice I have worked one side and left one side unworked for you guys so you can see the difference...the middle spring is missing what you see is me holding the replacement for comparison...the yellow handled tools you see are S spring benders...I use them a lot but before I had them I used the old hammer and vise and vise grips...

You must have some bad @ss dikes to cut these springs...and A WORD OF CAUTION...when working with springs keep your face away from them use eye protection as well for they are very dangerous...no kidding...work with them and you will see what I mean...

You need the small metal clamps too...

I say save your money for something else and just order you about 10 feet of the replacement...it will cost less then $20 shipping included...
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I stripped one seat today and found I have only two broken springs. Driver side seat outside towards the door. Got to be most common. Other then that the springs and frame are fine. I have kept these seats a long time. I'll guess 20 years. 20 years ago you would have walked away from them at a swap meet. Glad I did'nt sell them. I have a better set I could have done but I thiught I would tackle these. My question is, the two springs are different gauge. They sell 11GA or 9GA. What should I get? I'm swaying towards the 11GA because of your replies on the tighter radis of the newer springs. Thanks for all the help. Everyone has been very helpful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts