Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty sure my 1970 had bench and now has buckets. I removed the seat on the driver side and the front outer hole is threaded in the floor and the rest it looks like someone guessed and drilled until they had a hole that fit, I intend to weld up the holes and do it properly. My question is I see "Bucket Seat Floor Brackets" and "Bucket Seat Conversion Brackets"

Do either work? I assume the floor pan is the same just different holes are drilled? If I weld up my holes and then weld in the floor brackets either will fit? It seems one is the OEM style and the other is a quick weld in solution.

Rectangle Automotive exterior Font Auto part Gadget

Table Rectangle Grey Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
532 Posts
The bottom set are missing the small bracket that goes on the front outside corners. They assume that you'll use the stock hole for the bench seat, but that can cause interference with the seat belt retractors. They're both the same amount of work to weld in.

I used the bottom brackets, but I made the outer front bracket using a stock bucket car as a template.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a couple years, hopefully less, till I get to that stage. Looks pretty straight forward, pics are always helpful, that one pic helps a lot.
If you search online there's a few diagrams of dimensions where all the studs should be. I followed it loosely. Aligned the outer side closes to the rocker then put the inner plate where I thought it should be and set the seat in and it was really close. I bolted the seat down and tacked the inner ones down then removed the seat for full weld. Fits excellent.

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,543 Posts
I bought a set from a local hot rod dealer. Not sure what brand they were. I installed them, installed the carpet, then the seats. When I tightened down the nuts, the studs pulled through the sheet metal brackets! I had to remove everything and weld the studs to the brackets. They used some press in studs with no large flange. Check yours before installing them. Seems pretty dangerous for the seat to not be securely mounted.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought a set from a local hot rod dealer. Not sure what brand they were. I installed them, installed the carpet, then the seats. When I tightened down the nuts, the studs pulled through the sheet metal brackets! I had to remove everything and weld the studs to the brackets. They used some press in studs with no large flange. Check yours before installing them. Seems pretty dangerous for the seat to not be securely mounted.
Mine had large flanges, say 3/4" diameter and I tack welded the flange so the studs wouldn't spin ever down the road. AMD parts seem to be good quality.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts