Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install buckets seats in my 72 and the car I got the seats out of had the brackets welded to the floor (there were 4 brackets). The problem is the parts catalogs only show the inner brackets. I even wrote to National Parts Depot and they said they don't have the outer ones and didn't seem to know what I was even talking about.

There are two smaller outer brackets, right? This car had em anyway. If there is such an animal, any idea's on where to get them?
P.S. "Ground up" is only showing the inner's too.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

silverstone.fortunecity.com/tvr/246/bob_s_409_chevy_page_index.html

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I put buckets in a '68 El Camino, and just bought the inners.The outer seat bracket holes lined up with the holes where the bench came out.Of course, this car had several holes in it , in all different places.Got shot in the passenger door with a shotgun, wrong place, and wrong time.

------------------
' 72 Malibu project ACES # 1282 Team Member # 427
' 70 C-10 Pickup

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doug,

My 72 had a bench seat and had bolts going down through from the top (original). The car I got the buckets out of had the inner brackets and a smaller bracket one on the outer fronts and it had a threded stud sticking up.

When I put the buckets in my car, with a bolt in the rear outer hole, the front outer hole does not line up. It's about 1/2" off.

Something's not right here???

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

L

·
0 Posts
I'm not following this. If you're talking about the seat sliders that bolt to the frame of the seat, well you're never gonna find any in a catalog. They should've come along with the buckets.

The brackets that are commonly advertised in catalogs are intended to replicate the inboard mounting points of stock bucket seat cars. These are welded near the tunnel, and the sliders are bolted to them.

For the outboard mounting points, no aftermarket bracket is required. You can use the same points as were used by the bench seat, but these tend to be out a little too far. It may look better by drilling a couple holes about 1 1/2" to 2" farther inward on each side, and put mounting bolts through there. Just make sure you use big washers. Whatever you do, make sure you have the outboard setup how you want it, then mark carefully for welding the inboard bracket.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't mean the sliders. The car I got the seats out of had a small bracket in the front outer locations and it had something like a bolt sticking out of it but you use a nut to fasten down the seat.

I will try to get a picture of it (cars in the junkyard).

Very hard to explain.

Thanks,

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

·
Registered
101 Posts
How about a little help on what kind of car the seats came out of, and were they corect for the car they came from. All of the info larry gave is correct.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What mr409/Bob says IS CORRECT TOO!

Maybe you guys have never seen the FACTORY bucket seat brackets in a FACTORY BUCKET SEAT car (68-72).

mr409 is CORRECT. The aftermarker/repop industry does not reproduce an exact 100% factory replacement set (4 piece) of brackets.

What they do make is a 2 piece set of what has been explained above... which allows you to put a set of buckets in place of a bench seat using the outer bench seat holes. But it does cause a slight problem (interference) with the outer seat belt.

mr409, if you want original, you'll need to go back and get those factory brackets out of the salvage yard car.

------------------
our Website: sites.netscape.net/thebowtiegang/homepage

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Len,

You just saved my sanity!

I knew there were 4 brakcets. I recently went back to the car I got the seats out of and confirmed it. It's a 1972 Chevelle.

Obviously the parts places have never seen an original bucket seat car either because they thought I was sniffin' glue or something when I asked this question. I asked NPD parts.

I guess I better sharpen up the chisel then. This could suck.

Thanks again, I was starting to think I was losin' it.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had the same situation when I put buckets in my 69. The outside front of the doner car had a small raised bracket that was welded to the floor. In order to get the seats to line up right, I needed the bracket. The holes are about a half inch off. You would have to bend the seat track to get it to fit. The bracket also raises the front outside of the seat about an inch. I went to the doner car with a big hand chisel and hammer and cut the floor out were the bracket mounts. I then took the bracket to my bench grinder and ground off the excess floor metal. I then welded them into my car in the correct position using the seat track as a guide. Result was a perfect fit and the seats do not lean to the outside of the car because the outside bracket raises it up level.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike,

I just got back from the junk yard. I got the brackets out using your chisel method. That was a workout. I think my right arm muscle is twice as big as my left now.

I think when I get them cleaned up I will take picture of them and send them off to a few Chevelle parts places and show them the part they say doesn't exist. Who knows, maybe I can get them to get with the program and offer these parts.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.