Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I told my son when you tighten the headers make sure you move them all forward at the same time, alternately. He tightened them from one end to the other, the last bolt hole was off just enough for him to crossthread the head. So I made him go buy a 3/8x16 tap, got the tap almost all the way in and SNAP! The tap was weak, yes I know how to tap a hole, I used to work in a machine shop and tapped hundreds without breaking one. now what?

Does anyone know a trick way to get the tap out? I can't weld anything to it, it is to deep.

thanks........bk

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
This is one of the trick we use. Try a pin punch and tap it backwards out far enough to access it with something else. If it's in to deep and can't be reached, just try to bust it into small pieces. If all else fails drill it with the spade drill, after you sit down and cry. Think of if this way, I did it in the block in the truck.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I did the exact same thing, accidentally. Oops, live and learn. If the tap is really tough, you may have to get it machined out. I had to take my head, (the motor was still on the stand) to a place in Santa Ana called Jerry's drill and tap removal. Best of luck,

Brandon

·
Registered
87 Posts
This succeded for me:

1. I took a piece of hardened steel tube, (tool handle) with a 1/8" interior ID.

2. Grind the exterior of your tool to fit inside the bolt hole.

3. Use a file or cut-off wheel to notch the end to match the flutes in the tap. (some have 3, some 4 flutes).

4. insert into the flutes of the tap and turn same out......easy, breezy, Japanesey

------------------
Fueling the addiction:
67 Malibu (sb406/700R4)
70 SS454 M/C (roller 468/Switch-Pitch TH400)
74 Jensen (96 Northstar/700R4)
69 Jeepster ('96 4.3/700R4)
72 Chevy C10 ('99 Vortec 355/2004R)
50 Merc Woodie (Being chopped, dropped, and planted on a Stretched 70 Monte chasis, '01 Vortec 406/700R4)

"A drag race is like a gun-fight....... there IS no 'second-place winner'

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hey LDS, I like the quote from Shawshank. Thats one of my Fav movies

------------------
350 TBI EFI Supercase Muncie 4speed 12bolt 3.73's
Bench Blue w/black inter. [email protected]
"UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!" Beldar

My 69 Chevelle

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just had this happen!!!!!!!! Take a hardened steel puch and put it in the hole and hit it. IT WILL BREAK INTO SMALL PEICES. The tap is so hard of a steel it will shatter. It may take a few hits, but it will come out. A mechanic told me to do this and it worked.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396
402 BB, 400 turbo, 12 bolt, 4:10 gears.
TC# 1430
2002 Silverado HD, 3/4 ton. 6.0, 4 speed auto, 4.10 rear and 4x4.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just a suggestion but before you go in there with punches and a hammer you may destroy what ever you have left of already damaged threads. Cut the head of a 3/8-16 bolt off and drill a hole through the center of the bolt the diameter of your punch. If you can get it on one or two threads it will help center your punch dead nuts on that busted tap.

·
wagons rule!
3,249 Posts
john, thats a great idea to keep from screwing up what threads are left and doubling as a guide. when i had this happen to me i just took the head off and to the show to have them get it out. since they had done so much work on them they did it for free

------------------
1970 Chevelle 454 Wagons haul A$$ in style! "The Chopped Suburban". to see some goto
www.EINSTYN.com FO_FDYFO = four-fifty four! TC#1460, VCEA#2

·
Registered
64 Posts
Free99, what a concept. I was also going to suggest a carbide drill bit for that homemade guide but my machine shop background makes me forget that not everyone has the tools that I have. One of the best home made broken bolt extractor goes like this. Cut the bent end of an Allen wrench off and discard it. The straight end it what you need. The size allen wrench to use is about 75% of the diameter of the broken bolt. Measure across the flats of the wrench and drill a hole in the b.b. this dia. SLAM it in the hole (the cut end) with a BFH, put a socket on the wrench and away it goes. Those are the coolest wagons I,ve ever seen. I couldn't see the pic of the 2 door concept car though.

[This message has been edited by john dane (edited 01-18-2002).]

·
wagons rule!
3,249 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by john dane:
Those are the coolest wagons I,ve ever seen. I couldn't see the pic of the 2 door concept car though.

[This message has been edited by john dane (edited 01-18-2002).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
thanks, try it again. if it does not work hit the refresh button. it works on mine. i you get a chance to see it. it will look really cool when finnished.

------------------
1970 Chevelle 454 Wagons haul A$$ in style! "The Chopped Suburban". to see some goto
www.EINSTYN.com FO_FDYFO = four-fifty four! TC#1460, VCEA#2

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everybody, I bought a tap extractor, (a tool designed to slide into the flutes), it worked great. If anyone has a problem like this look for one of these tools. It doesn't get any easier.

bk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.