Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just started the Velle after a total eng/trand/diff rebuild and the aluminum snout on the starter broke off. This is a new one on me! It was a rebuilt chain store special. The motor is a 400 with 10:1. Bro's on his way to the store right now. The casting looked really flimsy to me.
Anyone else had this?
Gotta love headers when the starter craps!

------------------
The ongoing saga of the MALIBRUISER 70 SS fake
MALIBRUISER

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yup. 454 TH350 it happend after I put a NAPA(First for everything!) starter on. Snapped the noze and part of the body off!

Kinda cool actually. Check the flywheel for damage!

Luck to ya!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man. This one also came from NAPA. I usually don't like dropping names but this looks like a trend!
Just got one from Autozone and it came with shims and a check rod. Started right up.

------------------
MALIBRUISER

·
Registered
40 Posts
make sure your timing is right, Ive also seen a blown head gasket do that, cylinder fills with coolant when sitting and water wont compress, good luck

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems to be OK with the new one. Bought a Delco 1000 amp battery and some 2 ga. batt. cables too. I really like stuff to start.

------------------
MALIBRUISER

·
Registered
336 Posts
i broke a few noses what i had to do was find a steel nose, a guy from an engine shop gave me one said it was from a 427 vette engine so i put that on the front of the starter... how true the fact of a 427 vette starter being the only steel nose i dunno..but it did work for me,, maybe some of the tech guy's would know for sure where to get one or what starters did come with them

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had this happen to me way too many times. soemtimes they last months sometimes its days or hours. happend so much kragen stopped taking back my lifetime warrenty starter. turns out it was my flexplate. sometimes the ring gear on the flexplate doesnt get welde on straight and can cause all sorts of problems. I replaced the flex plate got a new starter and the problem went away (wheeew).

P.S. can also go to a high tork mini starter. most of these, like the powermaster #9000 has no nose cone. nothin to break off

but I would replace the flexplate anyway.

good luck

------------------
Justin McIver
Sacramento CA
66-454-th350

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had this happen to me way too many times. soemtimes they last months sometimes its days or hours. happend so much kragen stopped taking back my lifetime warrenty starter. turns out it was my flexplate. sometimes the ring gear on the flexplate doesnt get welde on straight and can cause all sorts of problems. I replaced the flex plate got a new starter and the problem went away (wheeew).

P.S. can also go to a high tork mini starter. most of these, like the powermaster #9000 has no nose cone. nothin to break off

but I would replace the flexplate anyway.

good luck

------------------
Justin McIver
Sacramento CA
66-454-th350

·
Registered
9 Posts
Try finding a old starter (69/70) that came with a steel snout. Had the same problem with both a 383 and 454 LS6.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hoffman7476:
We just started the Velle after a total eng/trand/diff rebuild and the aluminum snout on the starter broke off. This is a new one on me! It was a rebuilt chain store special. The motor is a 400 with 10:1. Bro's on his way to the store right now. The casting looked really flimsy to me.
Anyone else had this?
Gotta love headers when the starter craps!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far so good with the new one. I thought about the flex plate but it was used when the engine was balanced so I hate to change it. It's new. They didn't do anything to it but I wonder if changing it would alter the balance.
Thanks

------------------
MALIBRUISER

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.