Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Son of a b*&^%!!! I broke # 4 spark plug clean off in my '91 4.3L Jimmy
I'm sorry this isn't a Chevelle question - but I need the experts on this. Beyond the obvious problem, I am also on a tight budget right now.

The hex part of the plug broke off leaving the threads of the plug in the head. The white part of the plug came out of the plug base - complete to the electrode, leaving a hollow/empty plug base, broken off flush with the head.
Is an 'EZ out' screw extractor the answer?? Is there a certain type of extractor I should get? I have never done this before, Any other tips or suggestions???

I hope that head removal is not the answer, but be honest with me...
Thanks in advance for any information or support.
Ron "not running on all cylinders" Cook

------------------
Bow_Tied
1969 300 Deluxe HTSS396/ 1971 Malibu 2DR HT
"Never let fear and good judgement hold you back."
TC Member#1276 [email protected]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Yeah, I'd try an EZ-Out. Should work. I'm kind of guessing on the size. Maybe around a number 6 but I don't know the inner diameter of a spark plug. Make sure its "nose" does not hit the piston. Afterwards, I'd slowly bring the piston to the top and suck anything out of there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Don't use an easy out. Every time I've used them, they broke. I had the very same thing happen to me on my astro van with the same engine. Be glad that the center is out. Go to a good auto parts store and get the square shaped type extractor. I don't remember who makes it, there's probably several companies out there. It's tapered and the sides are sharp to bite into the part you're extracting. Before you pound it into the plug, alternate heating the plug with a propane torch and spraying liquid wrench on it. Be patient. The heating and spraying of the liquid wrench will allow it to soak into the threads and loosen the stubborn plug. Pounding on the end of the extractor will also help dislodge it. Turn the end of the extractor with a ratchet. This will work!
Good luck!
Dennis

·
Premium Member
16,949 Posts
Bow Tied, bummer dude!

I did this to a Geo Spectrum 4 cyl. Same deal. Left the threads in the threads. EZ did not work. I pulled the head, to it to the shop I used to work at and had to mill out the damn plug body. Effing wonderful. Helicoiled the plug hole and drove it another 100,000 miles.

So be prepared. Hope you have better luck with the EZ out.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Get some PB Blaster and squirt some on the threads. This is an amazingly superior penetrating lubricant.

I agree with the suggestion about the "square" extractor working better than others. If you have a machine shop you work with and trust, you might also ask them for suggestions.

I believe that GM had many problems with steel spark plugs getting cold-welded to the aluminum cylinder heads in their V-6's if they are left in too long. Most of these engines can go 100,000 miles or more before the plugs need to be replaced, but that's too long to wait if you want to get them out. I have a friend who works at an Oldsmobile dealership and their service manager has their mechanics to pull the plugs on every car that comes in regardless of why and put anti-seize compound on them to allow for easy removal. I learned this a long time ago helping a friend work on Porsches, and I use anti-seize on every plug I install.

Good luck with it!

------------------
Mike Ahlmann
'69 Elky SS-396
Sunnyvale, CA
There are no atheists at 150 MPH!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I have used an extractor on several plugs in one engine. (junk yard motor) It took a three foot pipe extension on the ratchet handle to get enough leverage for the plug to break loose. And when they did there was a very loud "pow". If I remember the extractor extended about 1/4 in. past the plug end so It might be a good idea to have the piston off top dead center.

Rene
66_Malibu

·
Registered
274 Posts
Get the right size square extractor and it'll come out just fine. make sure you tap in enough to get a bite or it will slip. you could also take a propane torch to heat the plug up some to help loosen it.
In my job I use the things every other day and would not know what to do without em. EZ outs will do nothing but brak. And then you can't just drill them out.
Put a crescent wrench on the extractor and turn it evenly just like you were tapping a bolt..
Good Luck RandyB..

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the suggestions and support! I have been applying penetrating fluid and will try the tapered square extractor style on the weekend.
Thanks!
Ron

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
As a sheetmetal man (A&P Mech) DO the heating and liquid wrench route and the 4 sided EZ out, but after gently tapping the EZ out in and it's seated tightly apply an ice cube to it, this will help shrink the plug away from the head. Should come out no prob after that, just DON'T force it or you'll be removing the head~

·
Registered
622 Posts
Experience from about 100 motorcycles and 200 lawnmowers, and lots more: FOR STEEL IN ALUMINUM - ALWAYS APPLY NEVER SEIZE!!!
Always, always - - - - - Always !!

------------------
Make it the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!

·
Gold Founding Member
10,971 Posts
283 is right! I NEVER thread ANYTHING into aluminum without chemicals. Generally anti-sieze (I'm currently using Copper stuff, but Permatex grey works OK too.) Sometimes Loctite 242 or 271, which will lock the threads while not permitting them to sieze. (BIG difference!) and on pipe thread, Loctite PST. This stuff is amazing! Works much better than ordinary Teflon paste!!!! Has the same active ingredient as the regular Loctite thread lockers.

Never naked Steel into Aluminum!

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good comments guys about the aluminum, agreed.... I am pretty sure I have cast iron heads.

Once I get these plugs out (my first change since the purchase, obviously the previous owner hadn't chnged them in a long time), should I also put anti-seize on the plugs, even though it is an iron head? TIA,
R

·
Registered
274 Posts
You don't have to on a metal to metal contact, But I've seen some plugs that don't want to come out so it wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hi Ron myself i would not put any antiseize on the threads you dont wont the plugs to come loose when in use.Lets keep a good seal here.I like to check plugs every 3 mounths on my daly driver this keeps things from seizing up.On the 66 well i play with plug reading well you know the rest of the story
.Good luck bro.Just got a coulpe of pic back of the ontario cruise were we are all flowing to gether will try to send ya a pic your in front of us.

------------------
http://home.talkcity.com/sparkplugst/snakepell/index.html 66 396 Beaumont.
Once bitten twice shy.
Don Pell 66 396Beaumont.
Once bitten twice shy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.