Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guy's,just wanted to give a word of addvice that im sure you all know.when you take your pride and joy "restored 66 el camino"in for service,even at a reputable place,always make sure to emphasize that they take care while working on it.i took mine in over the weekend for brake work.i told the manager over and over that the paint was new and that they be extra careful.he insisted that they never have anything happen to car they had in there.when i went to pick it up i noticed right away that the hood "where it meets the fender" had the paint peeled back.when i talked to the guy that actually worked on it he insisted that he didn't do it.lucky for me
i took the manager around the truck and he saw no scratches or dings on it.what appears to have happend is that when they closed the hood they closed it with all the pressure on the front corner of the hood and slammed it hard enough to push the corner father down.the edge of the hood cought the head of a screw and lifted the paint.i have closed this hood countless times without having to slamm it and it never chipped.well we have worked it out and they are going to have the hood repainted at thier cost.my only concern is that they don't match the paint right.well i will let you guys know how it turns.

Thanks for the ears:elc66

·
Registered
636 Posts
I had a similar story a few weeks ago. I was down getting exaust put on my 70 SS, and it looked like it could rain. So while I was standing there I told them that I wanted to get the car inside quickly because my car is still in primer and has no side glass in it. I also made it clear that as soon as they were done to call me and not to let it sit outside. Well I ended up having to drive the car in the shop myself since they were not getting it done, and it was starting to sprinkle. And sure engough when I drove by on my way home from running errands later on that day. There was my car sitting outside by the street, with the threat of rain looming.
Nothing happened to it luckily, but its just the point that these shops see your car as just another car. This was the first time I had anyone else do work on any part of this car without me helping, and hopefully it will be the last. Mat ACES #2424

------------------

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
This is exactly the reason I won't leave the side of my car (Accord or Chevelle) while work is being done. The only 2 exceptions are the Mechanic who owns the 2 Yenkos, and the bodyshop which restored those same 2 Yenkos.

I get all my exhaust work done at a local Midas and they're never even questioned my going back into the shop to watch the work. You just need to tell them how important the car is, and that if they don't want you there, you -and- your car will go someplace else.

Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6873/Chevelle/68_Chevelle_Info.html
Email: [email protected]
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
My friend's father had work done to his 57 bel air at a local shop and as they were lowering it down, they forgot to remove a jack stand that was sitting next to the car and it ripped the left fin up...through the chrome and everything. Man, I'd be screeming mad if they did that to mine.

·
Registered
129 Posts
One thing I have learned to deal with over the years of playing with, building, owning, and driving Hot Rods.........**** happens!....and the more you Fret over that thing the more **** is going to happen to it.
I have done more than my share of Boo-Boos to my cars over the years ..... I cant expect someone else to be perfect and flawless.

Shannon

·
Registered
421 Posts
I feel like a lucky dog then. My mechanic who does all the work owns a 65 in damn good shape, as well a heard of corvairs and 50's hogs. He will let me dote over my girl while work is getting done, and if it can't be done by the end of the day it is either put in a bay or put behind a bunch of other cars, always locked up tight.

Guess I have my self a winner.

------------------
Francis Taracido
[email protected]
Proud Patron of Quadzilla

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had a vinyl top installed just after I had my car painted last summer....when I went to pick it up there where 2 scratches right down to bare metal...1 on each side where the chrome moulding is right below the rear side windows...the guys tells me..."gee, the paint must've been soft still" GRRRRRRRR! I think his brain is a little "soft."
Also, they did not mask off the car when they sprayed on the adhesive so I had glue residue all over my new paint! I was not a happy camper...bottom line is to make sure they understand that your car is special and that you will not accept mistakes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well men i just dropped off my 66 this morning at the body shop.i feel a little better about this stop.the manager lives up the street from me and he has a couple of nice restored chevys.he asured me that it will be stored indoors in a gated lot and that he will take good care of it."we'll see"
i know sh!! happens but it still hurts when something like this happens.

later:elc66

·
Registered
31 Posts
I took my Elky to the alingment shop (before it was painted) and did not leave the side of it. When the guy who was working on it was done he grabbed the front corner of the SS hood and slammed the h*ll out of it scraping it against the fender. That is the only time it has seen the inside of a shop, after that I did everything myself or with the help of friends. This was not a boo-boo, it is laziness. COPO is right, most shops don't give a rats ass.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good morning!i picked up my 66 on friday.they did a good job on the hood.can't even tell where the damage was.i'm takeing all of your addvise and not letting it out of sight if i have to take it in for any work.

p.s. can you believe the guy at the brake shop called and wants me to drop off my 66 monday morning so they can put my new tire and rimms on.he said to leave it and it will get done by 5:00.i told him i'm going somewhare where they appreciate a nice car and take care of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.