Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read the post about the guy with the short dipstick which reminded me that I still have a broken dipstick.
A few years ago I was replacing my headers and forgot to remove the dipstick. After I had them bolted in, I noticed the dipstick was bent over, tried to carefully pull it out but it had split and the outer housing broke off flush with the block arrrgh.
I have tried several times to extract the remainder of the tube with no success, now I just have the broken end of the tube with the dipstick pushed into the hole which actually stays put and seems to keep water out.

Has anyone else done this bonehead move, any way to get that piece out short of pulling out the block etc. It is a lousy angle to get anything into.

Frank

------------------

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I wonder if a pipe nipple extractor would work, a local hardware store would have them. Other than that, a hammer and small chisle or, perhaps an awl would seem to me to be the only way. Of course, getting to it is part of the problem.

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 & 67 El Caminos

·
Registered
288 Posts
yep. done this on a ford and a chevy already
I used a drillbit just smaller than the size of the hole the tube goes into( so you dont drill into the block.) I used a drill, I think it was on reverse and the drill bit caught hold of the metaleave inside the hole.
after it grios you can pull it out.
hope that makes sense.
Justin

·
Registered
777 Posts
Is it any wonder what Justin's last name is?
Have you tried a plumber's helper? Its a long thing tool with a plunger at one end, and a claw at the other. The further you push on the plunger, the wider the claws. You should be able to find it in any hardware store, or tool magazine. I think I got mine from Harbor Freight, not sure.
Good Luck!

------------------
Fred
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.
'70 Chevelle
www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Mc Guyver drill bit idea sounds workable, I had tried to use a tap to extract the sleeve but couldn't get enough bite to move it.
I will also try to find a plumbers helper, I have never seen one

Frank

------------------

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
I contemplated this at length once. I took a piece of welding rod (the thin gas type) and made a small sharp hook in the end. I was able to go down inside the tube and hook the bottom of it. I fashioned a makeshift slide hammer out of a small machinists vice and slide hammered it out. I was lucky and mine came out with just a couple of little whacks. I'd a been up a creek I think if it was in there any more solidly. Be careful so as not to break off the hook inside the pan. Just an idea. Good luck,

Cam

·
Gold Founding Member
63,094 Posts
Well frank, I have been a plumber for 34 years and I have never seen on either.
Around here a "plumbers helper" is either a "plunger" or a kid that rides shotgun and sleeps between jobs while I drive.

("Force cup" sounds better on the invoice though) they work pretty good for removing dents from doors sometimes.
Anyway back to your problem;
I was able to get a broken off tube out with an Easy-out once, just go real easy and try not to put too much pressure on it so that it expands tighter in the hole.

------------------
Dean Call
Overland Park KS
Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
N.C.O.A. # 4350

macc.chevelles.net

·
Registered
124 Posts
ive used a lag bolt or large self tapping screw. you screw the bolt in till it gets fairly tight, than clamp vise grips on the bolt and tap it out with a hammer. so far this has worked three times for me. the first time i tried to get one out ,i spent many hours with a hammer and screwdriver getting one out.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That dipstick tube didn't seem too hard to break off, so I feel a little better that other people have done this as well. I have blown this off for a while but I will make another effort to get the stump out.
The self threading easy out or lag bolt sounds like the most feasable way to go.
BTW when I first put the motor together 9 years ago, I forgot to put the dipstick sleeve in which goes into the block and supports the dipstick inside the block. I proceeded to snap off the end of the dipstick with the crankshaft. Had to pull the pan out to get the broken end off
not fun with less than an hour on the motor.

Frank

------------------

·
Registered
834 Posts
I was just thinking about that problem and came up with an interesting idea. You could try to use a drum sander. Use the rubber piece that slips inside the sandpaper. The rubber piece would have to be about the same size as the inside of the hole, then tighten up the nut so that the rubber expands and presto, the rubber should beable to grib hard enough to pull it out. Don't know if that will work but I see no reason why not, good thing is you should not have to worry about metal chips in your oil like you would with a tap, easy out, or chisel.

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.