Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i did some searching and found that breaking lower control arm in the lower ball joint area apparently is "common" anyway. Would it be opk to buy a new stock type and not be worried about it happening again. I mean with mine being 40 year old metal (67) and with the new ones being new metal. I can get them on ebay for 99$ bucks a piece. SO what do you guys think about, i thought about tubular ones but i can afford to go that route.. at least not yet. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Ryan

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
in my opinion Ryan, a new one would be better because it doesnt have years of fatigue from stress cycles, and maybe the material isnt rusted and thinned like an old one, however, contrary to some peoples opinions, they are potential time bombs, i have seen them break and other people have on this site have had them break. it is a very high stressed region, if you just look at it, the weight of the vehicle, emagin hitting a hard corner, while braking and hitting a bump, the cars weight is shifter all forward... now look at the location of the coil spring which is carring the cars weight to the control arm. the area of the control arm behind the ball joint is pretty cantilevred and unsupported at that region. boxing them is just a hands down way to insure your safety and car from breaking and causing who knows what reprocusions. sure yours may be fine, sure it may never be neccessary, sure new stock ones may be fine, but put it this way, after what i know, i put boxed arms on all my cars, especially the wagons for obvious weight reasons.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
you going to drive it Hard ?? you going to put larger front tires on it ?? the street you live on have those pesky speed bumps ??? your answers should tell you what to do :D

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
in my opinion Ryan, a new one would be better because it doesnt have years of fatigue from stress cycles, and maybe the material isnt rusted and thinned like an old one, however, contrary to some peoples opinions, they are potential time bombs, i have seen them break and other people have on this site have had them break. it is a very high stressed region, if you just look at it, the weight of the vehicle, emagin hitting a hard corner, while braking and hitting a bump, the cars weight is shifter all forward... now look at the location of the coil spring which is carring the cars weight to the control arm. the area of the control arm behind the ball joint is pretty cantilevred and unsupported at that region. boxing them is just a hands down way to insure your safety and car from breaking and causing who knows what reprocusions. sure yours may be fine, sure it may never be neccessary, sure new stock ones may be fine, but put it this way, after what i know, i put boxed arms on all my cars, especially the wagons for obvious weight reasons.
Ryan - exactly what Pete said above. It doesn't cost much to box the stock arms, and they stay looking stock when done.

Pete didn't mention it, but if you go to his site you'll see details of what he's done - I bought a set of plates for my car from him, and boxed mine also. Not sure if he still has any of the kits for sale, but IMO they are worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
It will not hurt to have two different typies of lower control arms on the car. GM used the oval arm as a replacement, when ever there was a damaged arm.

That being said the general thinking is that round bushings give you slightly better handling as there is less rubber/give in the round bushings then the oval.

For mor information see this link
http://www.leverfamilysite.com/A-Body_three_types_of_lowers.htm:cool:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks SS70 for the quick response. sounds good to me i really need to get my car back in the road, i miss driving it so much, even though its only been 3 days, i know that is nothing compared to those of you who cant drive in the winter because of too much snow, but luckily i live in the desert. dont worry i will put some driving time in for you guys. thanks again to evryone for all the quick responses. :hurray:

ryan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts