Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Gear Rim Automotive wheel system Auto part

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Footwear Shoe Cabinetry Sneakers Wood

The throw out bearing was making noise up until the trans let go. 1st gear on the cluster and 1st speed gear. Not SO bad, but I split the OG case. (#s matching M20)
The original case is mounted on the wall for now, & I picked up an early M22 from a friend.

Do you think there will be a noticeable difference between the M20 / M22 ?

Car is a 1968 Chevelle with a mild 396 and 3:55 posi.
Wood Gas Machine Auto part Metal

Curtain Gas Machine Engineering Machine tool

Registered
67 Camaro SS/RS L78 M20 Convertible
happened to me to with my M20. Its a camaro with 3:42 posi.
But it was after i replaced the 396 with 400hp with a 496 with 670hp and floored it in first.
cluster and first gear teeth desintegrated and gears became donuts..

how the heck did you manage to do that with a mild 396?

case was fine in my case, switchted to budget korean M22 gearset, holds up fine.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But it was after i replaced the 396 with 400hp with a 496 with 670hp and floored it in first.

case was fine in my case, switchted to budget korean M22 gearset, holds up fine.

The car spent some time with a healthier big block in front of the same trans (before it was mine) & the true condition of the trans was unknown. The current engine is the original stock bore L34 396.
The M22 was a steal and I was hoping that the 3:55s would cut it.
If not, I guess that鈥檚 the motivation I鈥檒l need to rebuild/ upgrade the M20.
I have no interest in swapping out the rear gear ratio. 3:55s are a pretty comfortable set on the street & highway.

Registered
Personally I鈥檓 not a fan of the 2.20 box. Your first gear with the 2.20 with 3.55鈥檚 will equal 2.52 with 3.07 gear. IF you don鈥檛 mind the drop in the first gear I would try to find a wide ratio box and change the rear gear to 3.07 and have an even better cruiser.

Registered
67 Camaro SS/RS L78 M20 Convertible
I run a M22 2.20 first gear with 255/60 R15 27" diameter tires and a 3.42 rear axle in a heavy convertible camaro.

Yes its a 496 675 lbft mammoth engine but its just a tiny bit longer enganging in first... not a night and day difference to my m20 previously.

even parking and reversing back and first works fine.

I think you will get used to it easily.

I know of a corvette guy with M22 and 3.08 axle and 27" tires. works fine for him..

i think about switching to 3.08 gears and 29" tires because its just a freak experience jumping to 90 mph in first gear :D
torque and power is there more than enough.
currently first gear is still a smoke machine..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I run a M22 2.20 first gear with 255/60 R15 27" diameter tires and a 3.42 rear axle in a heavy convertible camaro.

Yes its a 496 675 lbft mammoth engine but its just a tiny bit longer enganging in first... not a night and day difference to my m20 previously.

even parking and reversing back and first works fine.

I think you will get used to it easily.

I know of a corvette guy with M22 and 3.08 axle and 27" tires. works fine for him..

i think about switching to 3.08 gears and 29" tires because its just a freak experience jumping to 90 mph in first gear :D
torque and power is there more than enough.
currently first gear is still a smoke machine..
Currently running 205/70/14s (redline radials) all the way around, but I just had a set of 15x8s painted body color to run 245/60/16 or 255/60/15 (still undecided)
I had a set of 15x8 rallies with 275/60/15 on her (kinda forgot about that) and didn鈥檛 notice much of a difference.

You鈥檙e right. I think I鈥檒l be ok.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is that a 58 Apache or 3100? rode my friends early 70's Elsi in the mid 70's YEE HA!
58 Apache 235. 6cyl with a pair of carbs and split dual exhaust.
Uncle Nick (a retired carpenter) did the bed in Black walnut. He used to run that Elsie & Bultaco very competitively and somewhat religiously back in the day.
Automotive lighting Track Wood Mode of transport Wood stain

1 - 20 of 36 Posts