Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While taking out the starter to remove my engine for rebuild I snapped off the braided or insulated starter wire. :mad: It snapped off about 5 inches from the starter post and of course it will be too short when it comes time to hook it back up. Can I just use a wire connector(crimp type) and add a piece of wire without any problems or what would be recommended? Would it be better to cut it off farther up the firewall and splicing so if it does cause problems it will be easier to get at?

Please advise.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Not sure which wire you broke, the purple or the yellow. If it's the yellow I'd replace the whole length back to the coil. If it's the purple, you may consider getting an insulated terminal and screwing it on your firewall. Tie the purple to that and run a new lead down to the starter. With a terminal on the firewall, it's easy to hook a remote start switch to it. Comes in handy sometimes when working on the engine.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice John. The car is in my dad's barn (16 miles away) but I will check which one I broke. If the yellow runs to the coil, does that mean the purple one goes to the ignition?
Also, if I put a terminal on the firewall, I'm assuming that's where I cut the wire and run new down to the starter? What gauge wire are the purple and yellow? Should they be braided or special wire because of the heat down there?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John,
I checked the wire over the weekend and it is the purple. Read your post again and am clear on what I need to do. What exactly do I ask for at the parts store? What gauge wire is the purple and does it need to be shielded?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Scott, went and lost your schematic since you hunted down your dash short? Purple is the start wire to the NSS switch and ignition switch. Yellow is 20 gage, purple is 12 gage. No they were plain old thermoplastic insulated wires. Protected by a fiberglass woven sleeve. If that’s gone there’s a product out there called Firesleeve used to protect hoses. That might be of interest.
The terminal idea was just a suggestion. Put the terminal where it’s convenient to use. Need a terminal similar to the one hiding by your battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts