Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After restoring my dash ('69) and other interior items, I am in the process of reassembly. At the moment, the dash is in with all the wires hooked back up but the steering column is not in so neither is the ignition switch or any other column electrical.

Just to see if I have any problems, I connected the battery back up and tried to turn on the dash lights and the head lights. Nothing. So the question is, do I have a problem or do I need to have the whole thing put back together before any of it will work?

Thanks.

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Bob,

I'm not 100% sure, but it seems to me there might be a problem. Headlight/dashlight/tail-light circuitry is independent of the ignition and turnsignal circuits found apart of the steering column. If you said you had problems with your hazard lights and brake lights, I'd understand...but By right, your illumination lights should have come on.

Do you have your fuse box hooked up and good fuses installed? Is the headlamp switch correctly installed and connected? Did you leave any ground wires disconnected in the dash upon reasembly? Just some things to think about.

Take a test light or voltmeter and probe each end of the dash lamp fuse, you should have power or 12 volts. There is no headlight fuse, as it is a breaker inside the actual headlamp switch. You can try to take voltage measurements at the switch or lamps (headlamps would be easier to pull) with reference to ground (a metal body part).

Hope that helps.

Joe

------------------
Creator of Team Chevelle's RADIO TECH for original audio questions and answers

Wanted:

-1968 VW beetle water pump

-1973 Corvette quarter panels (they rusted thru)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's what I thought. I figured I would try the headlights and dash lights before I fully reassembled everything so that if there was a problem, it would be easier to fix.

The fuse box is installed. The only thing missing is the steering column and anything that connects to that. I did not replace the dash harness or the engine harness but I did disconnect the fuse blocks halves. There was certainly something non-original about the wiring underneath but I didn't change anything since I didn't really have a problem before.

If you are saying that the head lights and dash lights should work given the degree to which everything is assembled, then I guess I have a problem. I won't be able to check things out until this weekend so I guess I will start hunting then.

Thanks.

Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts