Team Chevelle banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello was thinken of up gradeing the headlights to a brighter beam we have a 4 light system, 67 chevelle- seen some of the 2 light system, anyone upgrade to led??? exuse if this is a repeate

·
Premium Member
4,994 Posts
On my 67 I used halogen replacements for the original T3. Fit and function is identical, but much brighter. Make sure the grounds on the firewall are clean and tight.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Don't rule out Relays on both the Hi & Low Beam circuit. Installed right off your horn relay. Made a big difference on my 68.

Tony

·
Registered
579 Posts
i think you are suppose to use the relays because of the extra load drawn. not using them could be a problem.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I am biased... but I think I have an ultimate headlight setup:

I incorporated a "power distribution" box from a Ford Taurus into my wiring harness. This box mounts up on the core support where the regulator and horn relay used to be. It contains 3 sockets for full sized Bosch relays, 3 sockets for micro sized Bosch relays, a number of ATM fuse slots, and at least a dozen Maxi fuse slots. And finally it has a 175A mega fuse to protect the alternator power cable from battery powered shorts.

I have relays for high and lot beams with Maxi fuse format 30A self-reset circuit breakers in the box. The relays connect to new upgraded larger headlight and ground wires with new sockets/terminals.

I have a CS130 alternator providing power via an 8g power cable and using remote voltage sensing on the power distribution box.

And the piece de' resistance: Hella European specification 55/60W H4 halogen outers and 55W H1 halogen inners. These little ditties will require the holes in the back of the headlight bucket and core support to be opened up to at least 2.75" to fit the sealing boot. The European lenses provide a much superior beam control with a very sharp low beam cut off. And 230W of light on high beam is just Sweet :thumbsup:

Of course you can get different wattage bulbs for both H4 and H1 formats... I could have 400W of high beam light :cool: But I honestly do not see a need based on the current performance.

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
I am biased... but I think I have an ultimate headlight setup:

I incorporated a "power distribution" box from a Ford Taurus into my wiring harness. This box mounts up on the core support where the regulator and horn relay used to be. It contains 3 sockets for full sized Bosch relays, 3 sockets for micro sized Bosch relays, a number of ATM fuse slots, and at least a dozen Maxi fuse slots. And finally it has a 175A mega fuse to protect the alternator power cable from battery powered shorts.

I have relays for high and lot beams with Maxi fuse format 30A self-reset circuit breakers in the box. The relays connect to new upgraded larger headlight and ground wires with new sockets/terminals.

I have a CS130 alternator providing power via an 8g power cable and using remote voltage sensing on the power distribution box.

And the piece de' resistance: Hella European specification 55/60W H4 halogen outers and 55W H1 halogen inners. These little ditties will require the holes in the back of the headlight bucket and core support to be opened up to at least 2.75" to fit the sealing boot. The European lenses provide a much superior beam control with a very sharp low beam cut off. And 230W of light on high beam is just Sweet :thumbsup:

Of course you can get different wattage bulbs for both H4 and H1 formats... I could have 400W of high beam light :cool: But I honestly do not see a need based on the current performance.
Steve you keep teasing us with this setup :D how about details and pics please. TIA Pete

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I do have pictures... sitting on the camera. I need to upload them and format them into some kind of coherent web page. I prefer to have some captions and explanation along with my pictures on the web, so many of the picture hosting sites don't cut the mustard. It is definitely in plan and it gets higher on the priority list when folks express this level of interest :beers:

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Howdy.
Another good set of headlights are Cibie. They are a little harder to find and more expensive (maybe $50-75 per light), but definately high quality. I run Cibie quads on both my 70 El Camino and 91 Z-28. The El Camino has the spot high beam with 100W bulbs. They claim they will light up a reflector out to 8600 feet. Relays are a must though. And a high amp alternator helps too. The low beams have a nice sharp cut-off so as to not blind on-coming traffic. The lenses on these are pretty good and don't chip easy. The first set of Cibie lasted about 25 yrs before the reflector started to show signs of corrosion. I did try a set of Hella low beams, but the pattern didn't get out there far enough for me. But they did spread the light out more. Any headlight upgrade you do will be well worth the investment.
Good Luck.

Steve E in AZ...

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Well... by popular demand after buring a few quarts of the midnight oil...

The requested pictures of the power distribution box and halogen headlight upgrade:

http://home.surewest.net/jahr/ElCamino/Electrical/Electrical.html

Obviously you will have to follow the link to get the goods. Sorry no diagrams though. It generally seems self-evident to me so if there are particular questions that require a diagram fire away and I will see what I can come up with (part of the problem here is that I really do not have good software for doing diagrams).

Enjoy! :beers:

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Steve, Great post. As much as you are one this site why don't you become a member. You will get some (space) to load your pictures.
I look foeward to your post every week. I might learn something. Now, the problem is trying to remember what i just read.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Steve, Great post. As much as you are one this site why don't you become a member. You will get some (space) to load your pictures.
I look foeward to your post every week. I might learn something. Now, the problem is trying to remember what i just read.

I think there is a lot of value in presenting information rather than just pictures. Kind of like what they are doing with Chevy Punch. So membership just to post pictures is not that big a deal. It is more of a community/site support and the right thing to do kind of deal. I was an official card carrying member at one time. And you are right I should re-up, but that means trying to justify it to the family accountant. In the meantime I try and add my value in other ways when and where I can.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
European lenses provide a much superior beam control with a very sharp low beam cut off.
I hear you. I'm used to the European halogen lights, and I was pretty disappointed with the light pattern from the Sylvania replacement lights I got for my '69. With European H4s, you can line them up perfectly by parking about 20-30 feet from a wall and use a tape measure to get a good reference, but that was totally impossible with the Sylvanias. The only way I could adjust them was to do a rough adjustment in the garage, then get out on the road in the evening and adjust, eyeball it, adjust again and so on. The light is way better now, but I might just go for H4's later on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts