Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oil keeps comming out of my breathers when I'm driving, I have put a plate on the back of the valve covers and replaced the gromet cutting tiny air holes in them, and filling the breather neck with sponge and oil still flows all over my firewall. Oh I've also tried at least 3 different weights of oil with no luck. Can anyone suggest an alternative method or something.
Thanks Greg
http://www.1967malibu.homestead.com/67malibu.html

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Do you have a PCV valve, if not, you probably won't cure your breather problem.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
there is only one way to fail, and thats to quit.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Here's an explanation of PCV operation I gave about a month ago:

In the old days, engines had what was called a "draft tube" hanging from the rear of the engine. This tube was plumbed to the crankcase and ran down the rear of the engine. The open end would hang down under the car just enough where the forward motion of the vehicle would create a "draft" or suction past the open end of the tube. This would cause fresh air to be drawn into the crankcase through a breather element and, along with cantaminated crankcase vapors, be expelled from the draft tube. This system would only function when the vehicle was in forward motion AND would allow crankcase vapors into the atmosphere. So, a better way was developed in the guise of the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system, or, PCV. The draft tube was eliminated and a metering valve was plumbed to manifold vacuum to create an air flow from a breather element, through the crankcase and into the intake. This would deliver contaminated crankcase vapors to the combustion chambers to be burned. It's this fresh air flow that two breathers CANNOT duplicate. Very simple system and it's used on every car on the road today.
------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
560,000+ miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

[This message has been edited by MalibuJerry350 (edited 08-08-2001).]

·
Registered
622 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts