Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I've finally been putting some break in miles on my wagon now that my brakes and suspension are up to snuff. The car was running really well all winter, and now that I'm driving it I notice that under higher loads, when I let off the gas it backfires a bit.....in the intake I believe?

What should I check to fix this issue. the carb was freshly rebuilt so I am still trying to dial that in but I am a newbie so any tips here would be appreciated.

under 30mph or so it doesn't seem to happen but above that when I accel it sounds good, then let off there is some popping.
I couldn't capture it very well but hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Is this a roller cam or a flat tappet? When you mean break in you mean a fresh motor? The reason I ask about type of cam is what you are describing could be a cam lobe going if flat tappet. You mention carb was freshly rebuilt by who and what did they fix, adjust or replace? Make sure your distributor/wires etc. arer in good shape too.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
If you are a newbie, learn to read and set timing. Get a light and tell us what your timing is initial and total.

Could be a lean misfire.

Could be a bad plug wire.

And like Lew said, good chance a cam lobe is going flat too.

Check timing
Check plugs
Report back to us.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is a flat tappet RV cam

engine was rebuilt by a guy I found locally near Chicago

the carb was rebuilt by me following guides online. and tuned by me who knows very little but reads a lot ( probably the issue). the carb was leaking gas so I figured try spending 30 before buying a new carb.

initial timing is around 12 degrees last time I checked. I was planning on putting timing tape on it so I can check my total timing. and have read a lot on the subject on this site. plug wires are all fine but should I pull a plug to see the condition of them?

·
Premium Member
- Ben R. - Snohomish, WA
7,763 Posts
Have you retorqued your intake and carb bolts since you put it in the car?
Vacuum leaks on a fresh motor are very common after a few months due to everything heat cycling. Retorque everything on the top end and it may just resolve itself.

A few years back i had a brand new crate motor, ran good for a month or two then started having issues backfiring, idle issues... The intake bolts needed retightening, but it didn't even occur to me since it came out of the crate fully assembled.

A friend sprayed some starting fluid around the base of the carb and intake edges to check for leaks while it was running and those RPMS instantly shot up.. Nearly all the bolts were loose. Retorqued and was good to go again.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mine wiped out two new flat tappet cams right off the bat. I’d change the oil and look for any evidence. If it has any kind of metal in it it will be pretty obvious and an oil change never hurts at any mileage. Flat tappet cams these days are absolute junk compared to twenty/thirty years ago, what you describe concerns me. If it is a lobe it will junk the entire engine in no time!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im getting close to my first 500 miles so was planning an oil change soon but should I just do it early? I think I'm around 350 miles now. would it hurt to check timing and carb first to see if it gets better or worse

1 - 13 of 13 Posts