Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a "blue Streak" point and condensor set, single unit. After I took off my cap and rotor, I discovered that I had the seperate point and condensor set. Since the part is an electrical part I can't return it. i have three questions; Can I use the single point and condensor unit in place of the seperate point and condensor unit? If I can why would anyone use the seperate unit? And finaly does anyone think blue streak points are worth the price. I paid $22.00 I could have bought a chain store set for $5.00

·
Super Moderator
12,677 Posts
Em,
The "unipoint" set up is designed to replace the old two piece set up, you will not have any problems. As far as Blue Streak...they have been around a long time and should be good quality. As for the price...sounds a bit on the steep side to me, but I have not bought any points other than Mallory or Accel in quite a while.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
12,841 Posts
Ther're interchangeable. The only thing is, it was originally seperate and when someone converted it, they may have discarded the screw and clamp for the condensor. You may need to dig these up.
Many people (including myself) used to consider Blue Streak premium parts. In the past few years I have converted most point type distributors to a PerTronix unit.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think Tom misread your post elmarco, the points set you bought is the one piece design, correct? If so don't worry about the clamp Tom is talking about, you'll see what he means when you take yours apart. When I started playing with cars, one of my mentors (older guy who knew his sh*t) swore by blue streak points, like Tom said, used to be top-of-the-line when points were all you had. I have used them a few times in friends cars who still run points, and don't want or need to convert. Usually pay $15-$20 for the set I believe. They seem to hold up a long time. I have just put them in other peoples cars, I don't know first hand if there are any performance gains to be had or anything like that.

------------------
Steve

72 Chevelle SS402/4sp

[This message has been edited by SSteve L (edited 12-09-99).]

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
elmarco, I used a "uniset" one time and it broke within two weeksand I'll never use another and I've had other mechanics tell me the same thing. As for Blue Streak points, I had a friend who's car was running rough and he asked me to take a look at it, the first thing I did was look at the points, because while driving it home it acted like it had point bounce. Sure enough, it had Blue Streak points in it and I put A Delco-Remy set in it and cured the problem. My 0.02. I always put in whatever the OEM put in, that's my Credo.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
Those who do the world's real work don't usually wear ties.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, you can remove the parts from the unibody base and use them seperately. I have done this. I don't like the uni-body and always used seperate parts.
I like Blue Streak parts, as said above they are the good stuff. Unless you are winding the engine to high rpm stay away from the Corvette points, The heavy spring pressure will put a lot of wear on the points cam.

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 El Camino, daily driver
67 El Camino, STRIP/street

·
Registered
72 Posts
Blue Streak is the best in my opinion , I go out of my way to buy them ,, just dont care for the blue color of there Dist.Caps ,, guess they look good on Fords ,, oops said the "F" word :) The only problem you will have with the Uniset is you will not be able to use a feeler gaudge to gap them as there in no room, you will have to use a dwell meter and set them at 30

------------------
John
Catapiller Mechanic
Salinas,Ca
70SS 454 Clone {in construction}

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.