Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been running into major problems with my 65 chevelle... its my daily driver and i recently got my brakes bled about a month ago -- everything was fine until now -- the car just doesnt stop fast enough. the pedal has always been soft even after the bleed, but now it its just not enough to stop like it did before. when i put in my long tube headers i relocated my proportioning block to the fame and re did the lines - it all sees fine when visually inspected. what could it be? have you guys delt with anything like this before? new master cylinder/brake boosters? im running out of ideas and this car is my daily driver

thanks guys! means alot

·
Registered
581 Posts
Last year I had a simular problem with my 67, I bled it several times but the brakes were spongie and the car would not stop like it used to. On day I was bleeding it once again but this day I had no one to help me so I was using my vacuum pump to bleed the system. What I dicovered was the right front caliper bleed valve was not sealing when closed and was letting air back into the system although it never leaked fluid and I dont really understand that one.

Any way thats what happened to me, might be worth checking it was simple with the vacuum pump because it wouldnt hold the vacuum after closeing the valve. After remachineing the seal surface in the caliper and on the valve no problems and excellent brakes.(I have a mill in the garage so remachineing both were easy)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much. I originally had my dads friends shop bleed the brakes because he said he would do it for free. I'll so out and buy a vacuum bleeder and do it myself this. Hopefully he just forgot to close a bleeder vavle or something minor. I'll let you guys know how it goes

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
moving to Brakes.

·
Registered
18,906 Posts
4 wheel drums?
do a few hard stops in reverse to get the self adjusters to adjust.. get going 10-15mph in reverse and just slam on the brakes.. i bet the pedal comes back after doing that 4-5 times..

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Even though the most likely thing is still air in the lines, there's a lot of stuff to watch out for on old brakes.

You may have a small hole in a line - they rust from the inside out. This could potentially be catastrophic if they let go all at once. Likewise, if there's any debris in the lines it could plug your calipers or wheel cylinders and not let them work properly.

You may have bad rubber lines leading to the wheels. They can lose their integrity and expand as you apply the brakes, not allowing the right pressure to hit where it's needed.

Wheel cylinders could be leaking, too.

You really should find the core problem and spend what it takes to fix it. If you still don't like the stopping power, I'd upgrade to a Praise Dyno Brake setup - their kits will have you stopping significantly faster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts