Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my hydraullic portion of the lamp does not operate because the wire leading to the proportioning valve is gone. i found one in a salvage yard off a 70' cutlass. it is tan, as i think mine should be. question..i have never "unplugged" the harness at the firewall under the brake booster. i guess it just pulls off and i need to insert the new wire terminal (wire and ends are intact) into the appropriate hole in the connector, then plug it back in? could this connector be hard to remove from the firewall, it looks like it has never been off before.

also, the warning lamp operates with the parking brake on, but is white, shouldn't this be red? it seems that the lens must be missing , if so-is it missing from the instrument cluster or the back of the black dash bezel. where could i find a new lens?

thanks for any help 70 chevelle ss

[This message has been edited by DAVID IN GA (edited 08-28-99).]

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
David
There is a 5/16 or 3/8 bolt through the middle of the firewall connector. Remove it and the connector "should" come out easily.
If a 70 ss dash is the same as a 72 plain jane, there is a red lense inside the strip of lights across the bottom. If you look closely at the rectangular openings at either end of the strip of lights you will see that there is a plastic plug installed. Carefully pry the plug out and there will be a screw in each opening. Remove the screws and the entire panel comes loose.
Don't be surprised, but each light (directionals-oil-water-brake-seat belt(on mine) has a lens of the appropriate color and a little cardboard "box" behind it. The box isolates each lite to its own opening. They will fall all over the floor when you take them out and are difficult to put back together.
I hope this all applies. You probably have to be creative and make a replacement. Or buy a parts dash.

------------------
Rick (Abilene Texas)
72 El Camino
TPI 350/700r4
Aces #00140
TEAM CHEVELLE #00038

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.