Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed this on my '68.

With the brakes on, both brake lights work fine. With the brakes on, when I turn on the left turn signal, the pass. side brake light stays on.

But when I turn on the right turn signal, the drivers side brakelight goes out.

Since the brakes lights work without the signal on, that tells be no problem with wiring to the light itself.

Does this sound like a problem with the signal switch inside the column?

Thanks

------------------
JeffK ACES #01510
Team Chevelle Gold #72
68 350/Powerglide Ragtop
72 496/Richmond 6-Speed
Jeff's Chevelle Page

[This message has been edited by JeffK (edited 07-19-2002).]

·
Registered
886 Posts
If you've explained the situation correctly, then there is no problem. It's working the way it's supposed to. The turn signals and brake lights utilize the same circuit/light filament on the rear lights.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I edited the 3rd line. My mistake.

When the pass. side signal is on, the drivers side brake light goes off.

------------------
JeffK ACES #01510
Team Chevelle Gold #72
68 350/Powerglide Ragtop
72 496/Richmond 6-Speed
Jeff's Chevelle Page

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
What makes it a little confusing is that the 2 filaments (brake & signal) share the same ground. If the bulb doesn't have a ground it starts using the other filament to find its way to ground. Turn the signal on and have someone step on the brake. Gain access to the lamp that is out. Touch a piece of wire to the lamp's base. Right where the base meets the glass. Touch the other end of the wire to a known good ground. See if that makes the bulb light up. If so bad ground to the socket or the socket itself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts