Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did a manual brake to power brakes conversion and the brake switch wont touch the pedal. Is there a difference in the brake light switch on a 70 Chevelle for manual and power brakes? If so, what is the difference?
Please help!!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
There's an "L" shaped piece of sheetmetal that attaches to the brake pedal. Believe it's called a striker. The striker is what takes up the gap. Sorry, I've pulled a few over the years but gave them all away.

·
Registered
182 Posts
autozone sells a brake switch but I couldn't get anymore than that from them over the phone. My wife is currently going to get it. $6.

I need a rear wiring harness but I don't want to spend megabucks for it. Where's the best place to get a 65 El Camino rear wiring harness?

·
Registered
182 Posts
here's a picture of the very well built autozone 65 El Camino brake switch. The informative well done directions indicate at least three types of switches but all the pictures look the same to me. It is threaded and has superlite non billet aluminum deposable fasteners.

Well I can't figure out how to post a picture on this forum. Too bad because it's a very pretty switch.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Ok, here's what I did when I converted over to discs in 1998. In the center of the switch actuator there is a small hole. I took a small self tapping screw, applied some Loktite to the threads and screwed it into the hole. The screw extends the reach of the actuator button so it contacts the brake pedal arm. It doesn't take a very long screw AND it works fine. I've put over 160,000 miles on the car since then and the switch is still operating fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts