Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stumped! Everything works on my right brake light - but the only thing that works on the left side is the blinker & it lights up with head lights, the brake light will NOT come on. I put a volt meter on the wires and I do have a strong current, same as on the right side. But even though the wire has current it will not even light a test light with a good ground. I have tried running a new ground wire - no luck! The bulb is good, the socket for the bulb is good...I am completely at a loss on how to fix it!
Does anyone have any ideas on what to check??

------------------

·
Super Moderator
15,884 Posts
Since that light will light the turn signal and running light, the circuit at the tail light is good. The problem has to be between the brake light switch and that tail light. The brake and the turn signal use the same circuit at the tail lightend, so you are simply loosing the brake light circuit at some point. I'd start by checking the bulkhead connectors at either end of the flat cable that runs under the carpet and check for a good connection and a good circuit from end to end. The front connector is at the firewall near the fuse panel and the rear connector is at the front of the trunk near the bracing behind the back seat.

·
Super Moderator
15,884 Posts
One more thing, if the flat cable and it's connections check out, you might still have a bad connection INSIDE the rear light harness. But that's less likely than the connections at or in the flat cable I described above.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
On the top of the steering column there is a flat strip connector that comes from the turn signal switch. This has around 7 wires in it. You should be able to get at it without taking the column down.
Leave the headlights off. Leave the turn signal indicator in the off position. Push down on the brake pedal. With a meter or test light measure:
Yellow wire to ground
Green wire to ground
You should have 12 volts on both the green and the yellow to ground. If you do not problem is up in the turn signal switch.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice....I'll be working on it again this weekend & I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally got around to checking out the turn signal switch. You guys were right, the switch was bad. Thanks for your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts