Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for my friends 68 camaro, when applying the brake the tail light lights up the wrong filament and when the tailights are on the larger filament is on. so if the car lights are on and you apply the brakes you can't see the brake light. Also during the day if you apply the brake the light is dim. Seems like the wires are crossed somewhere. I have traced back everything that I thought is connected any ideas?

FMSS4

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Orland Park. Brings back memories. Uncle owned a gas station out there some 45 years ago.
Anyway, you are one of the few people that have noticed the wrong filament is lighting up. Great observation on the "dim" light problem. Problem is a bad ground using the other filament as the ground wire. Try this.

See if the bulbs are getting ground. The easiest way I found was to test the bulbs while they are still in the socket.
With your highlights on, touch a piece of wire from the outer bulb base. Right where the metal part touches the glass. Touch the other end of the wire to a good ground. This give ground directly to the bulb and shows you if it is a ground problem. Found that this bright bulb/dim bulb problem can be the socket crimp joint.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
It is a very common problem for the last person who worked on the car to replace the socket for the rear brake/tail lamp to switch the "hots" for the tail/brake filaments, thus you get a "brake" light when you turn on the tails and a "tail" when you stomp on the brakes. If you can get both filaments to come on (stepping on the brake while the tail lights are on) you can assume you have an adequate ground. All you need to do is switch the tail/brake feed wires AT the socket connections.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
My 69 Camaro had a ground wire for the taillights which attached in the center of the tail panel near the trunk latch.

I found it one night when the local finest had me bent over the hood of my car for driving around without taillights. Once they had searched me and figured I was alright the shined their lfashlight in the trunk for me while I found the problem and rigged up a fix to get home.

------------------
Rod

67 396
SS clone

Daddy's Red Car

1 - 4 of 4 Posts