Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of installing a power booster and master cylinder. (1967 Chevelle) So far I've bolted the new booster to the firewall and hooked up the clevis to the bottom hole of the brake pedal. My question is, the brake pedal is lower to the floor than before. Is this normal. I have the clevis adjusted out as far as it will go without coming off the rod. I also read some post about making a new striker plate for the brake light switch. Mine looks like all I have to do is screw it in a little farther to make contact with the pedal bar since it is lower and it will work. Is that okay??. My other question is the spring that was connected to the brake pedal to pull the pedal back up. Is this still needed. It doesn't appear that it is. I just don't want to go any further and have to take everything apart again. I've did alot of searching for the answer to these questions, but none talk about these issues. Can some please help. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does look like there is enough thread left on the switch to make contact. Is it normal for the pedal to be lower, probably about an inch or so. I was just worried that when the car is started the pedal usually drops more and if so it may be to low. I guess all I can do is see what happens. It may be okay.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
It is normal for the pedal to be closer to the floor for power brakes. I would fab a striker like Mike did because you want to be absolutely sure your brake lights work all the time.

·
Gold Founding Member
10,967 Posts
I was just worried that when the car is started the pedal usually drops more and if so it may be to low.
If you start the engine--and the brake pedal drops--something is WRONG.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just a remark about the pedal dropping when the engine starts. I'm pretty sure he means that if he has his foot pressing on the pedal and starts thje engine it drops a little. This is normal, and nothing is wrong. The drop is due to the power assist kicking in when the engine starts. Pretty much all power brake systems do this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts