Chevelles.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 68 Chevelle SS396 with stock air conditioning and power brakes, would it be possible to remove the AC vacuum canister and run the vacuum hose to a new nozzle on the brake power booster? I could drill a small hole in the rear of the booster and attach a vacuum line. It would clean up the engine compartment.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
In my 68 Chevelle SS396 with stock air conditioning and power brakes, would it be possible to remove the AC vacuum canister and run the vacuum hose to a new nozzle on the brake power booster? I could drill a small hole in the rear of the booster and attach a vacuum line. It would clean up the engine compartment.
You want to tap into the brake booster to use it as a source for vac to supply the A/C vac to operate the doors and what not inside the car? The booster is not a vac source. It draws vac from the engine. Seems to me that the booster is a devise that USES vac not a device that was intended to be used as a vac supply.

I suppose that the A/C vac demand is very low. Doing what you say would only be powering those little air motors but it would have the effect of decreasing vac suppled to the booster. It might not deplete very much vac that would otherwise available to the booster for "brake work".

Why not just tap off the engine or stick a "T" into the vac like that "powers" the booster? I would not go drilling holes in the booster. I would not wanna mess with a component of my brakes. If you tap into that supply line you are just tapping vac off before the booster.

On this same question however...I must assume you are talking about a "juice can like" device or a plastic "ball" that sits somewhere on the firewall? If I am right those things serve as vac "reserve" for those times when the engiine doesn't develop enough vac by itself. If you remove those devices you are removing a reserve that was there for a reason. I did some work on 70 / 72 A/C systems and they did not use a vac reserve can anywhere. Perhaps some 70 / 72 cars had that device but I know mine did not. It might depend on the engine..some engines don't make much vac but it seems to me those cans / devices were installed later ..after 72. Can't be sure on that. I don't know about 68's in general and it might even be that it is there because your engine does not make enough vac because of mods like a big cam. The device might not be "stock" for your car it might have been added sometime in the past.

Removing it just for a clean firewall might be detrimental if your car is short on vac already. Drilling into the booster might even be dangerous. I don't think I would do it. If I was hell bent on removing the device I would tap into that supply line that brings vac to the booster.

·
Registered
393 Posts
You would really risk compromising your brakes, wrecking your car, and losing your life to "clean up the engine compartment?"

Wow.

If it's that important to you, why not just relocate the reservoir to somewhere under the dash? There's plenty of room.

And, Oman, a vacuum reservoir was standard on every Chevelle with A/C that I ever saw - it's needed so that the air doesn't redirect every time you step on the gas (vacuum at or near full throttle = Ø).

- Eric

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
You would really risk compromising your brakes, wrecking your car, and losing your life to "clean up the engine compartment?"

Wow.

If it's that important to you, why not just relocate the reservoir to somewhere under the dash? There's plenty of room.

And, Oman, a vacuum reservoir was standard on every Chevelle with A/C that I ever saw - it's needed so that the air doesn't redirect every time you step on the gas (vacuum at or near full throttle = Ø).

- Eric
You could be right. That said I stripped a couple of donor cars and I thought I was very careful to pull everything related to the A/C. Perhaps the cars I stripped just did not have that reserve device because it was removed at some point. This happened a long time ago in a galaxy far far away so I could be all wrong here.

I agree however that screwing with that booster to get a cleaner firewall is a bad deal. I read some things here that are REALLY on the edge. This idea has to rank right up there. Another issue here..if that booster is "modified" and someone gets seriously / permanently hurt in an accident IMAGINE what some dirt ball lawyer could do with that!!!! The car owners insurance likely would run for cover becasue the brake components were modifed. Anyone getting hurt as a consequence of the mods would be standing waiting for a HUGE handout.

This is SUCH a bad idea I almost cannot find words to describe it.

·
Administrator
16,171 Posts
Ron besides the safety aspect of modifying the booster, there is no vacuum in the back half, it is the atmosphere side of the unit.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
... and coming from a poster with a single post, one has to wonder whether it is really from a TROLL.

- Eric
Yeah that could be. The other day I tried to help a guy with a question about a clutch. Everything was "can someone get me the P/N.....I have a Summit P/N blah blah blah....

Several people myself included suggested CF clutches. Ok the guy says "yeah that sounds good can ya get me the P/N you have from you receipt? " I could not do it for him... hell I can't find my wallet around here some days!!!!! Anyway I more or less said. "look it up..how hard can that be?" His response..." I am going with the GM clutch P/n......"

Another troll I guess! It was like he could not figure out a P/N!!!! I just decided "WTF if he cannot come up with a P/N I am damned if I am gonna do it for him".

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope.. I'm not a TROLL. I just had a thought that since there was already a vacuum RESERVOIR (not a SOURCE) of vacuum under the hood, that I could make my friggin underhood look a little nicer. Nope... I wasn't talking about making a million dollar custom enhancement. So while I really APPRECIATE everyones honest appraisal that it shouldn't be done for safety reasons, I DO NOT appreciate sarcasm and belittling.

So, MDchanic, perhaps you could calm down and stop the insulting comments. I asked an honest question. It seemed to be a reasonable thing to me. But that's why I asked on this forum. And yes, this IS MY FIRST TIME POSTING. Maybe my last.
Ron,
Topeka Kansas.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Sorry for calling you a troll, but the combination of such an outrageously bad (and also unusual) idea and the first-time post led to that conclusion.
I stand corrected, and, as I say, I apologize.

As for shoving it, well, thanks, but I don't go that way.

- Eric

·
Premium Member
6,844 Posts
The vacuum canister mounts to the A/C evaporator box, not the firewall. You may be able to find enough room behind the glove box to mount it inside the car.
BillL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts