Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got lots of great tips from you guys , thanks a bunch. But I'm beginning to feel like a real dummy,I've tried several times, how do you you keep the braid from fraying? how do you get all the frayed braided wire in the fitting nut? how do I get the cut end in the fitting nut?
Please!!!!My hose is getting shorter
Gene

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the best luck with wrapping the hose in a stiff masking tape, and then using a cutoff wheel - I go around once just cutting a bit to keep it from fraying, then cut through the rubber. I made up maybe 30 hose ends this way and it worked easy.

No, a hacksaw won't do it for you, and you can't cut off an inch or two - too close to the loose ends and it'll REALLY fray. Just wrap that tape tight and use the cutoff wheel!
Ryan

·
Registered
108 Posts
THE BEST WAY TO DO THE STAINLESS HOSES I HAVE FOUND IS TO PUT THE END OF THE HOSE IN A VISE THEN I TAKE DUCT TAPE AND STICK IT ON THE HOSE I TAKE ONE HAND AND GRAB THE LENGTH OF HOSE AND PULL IT REAL HARD SO I STRETCH THE HOSE WHILE I AM HOLDING IT I TAKE THE ROLL OF DUCT TAPE AND GO AROUND THE HOSE.AFTER I CUT MY TAPE I TAKE A CUT OFF WHEEL AND I PULL THE HOSE AGAIN AND CUT IN THE CENTER OF THE TAPE. I GET A SMOOTH CUT JUST ABOUT EVERY TIME.ON ACASSION YOU WILL HAVE SOME SMALL FRAYING I TAKE A PAIR OF GOOD SHARP SCISSORS AND CUT THE FRAYING OFF ALONG WITH ANY STRANDS OF TAPE.AFTER THAT I LEAVE THE TAPE ON THE HOSE AND I TAKE MY FIRST SECTION OF THE COUPLING AND START IT ON THE HOSE USUALEY ALL I HAVE TO DO IS TAKE MY THUMB NAIL AND WORK THE EDGE UNDER THE COUPLING.AFTER I GET IT STARTED I TAKE A 3/4 WRENCH AND SCREW IT ON UNTIL IT IS ALL THE WAY IN.AFTER THAT I TAKETEFLON TAPE AND PUT IT ON MY MALE THREADS AND I SLIDE IT INTO THE HOSE AND GET IT STARTED AND TIGHTEN IT UP USING THE3/4 AND 11/16.I JUST GOT THRU MAKING SOME HOSES EARLIER TONIGHT.I HAVE DONE IT THIS WAY FOR THE PAST 20 YEARS AND I CAN MAKE UP A HOSE WITH BOTH ENDS IN ABOUT 8-10 MINUTES. THE KEY TO IT IS TO STRETCH THE HOSE SO THE BRAID TIGHTENS UP AND WHILE YOU ARE HOLDING IT PUT THE TAPE ON AND THAT KEEPS IT SMALL AND MAKES IT EASIER TO INSTALL THE FITTING.THE LAST THING I DO IS TO TAKE A EXACTO KNIFE AND CUT AWAY ANT TAPE THAT IS STICKING OUT FROM UNDER THE FITTING.I HAVE MADE SEVEREL HUNDRED HOSES THIS WAY.

------------------

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'm telling ya, get a set of Greenlee cable cutters. They'll slice through that stainless hose like butter. What brand fittings are you using? I've used Earl's and Russell. Earl's fittings are much easier to use. I had no trouble whatsoever getting the hose in the Earl's fitting. It took a LOT more effort and duct tape to get the hose in the Russell fitting.

------------------
Keith
70 El Camino SS L78 396
Currently: 496ci big block, GM aluminum heads, roller valvetrain, Accel DFI multi-point fuel injection, Richmond 5 speed.

[This message has been edited by KAA (edited 08-10-2001).]

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know who's fittings and hose, it's a fuel line kit pump to carb, Summit kit, no other name.
Are these Greenlee cable cutters costly, only have one fuel line, where would I find these cutters? Do they have a size range limatation?
Gene

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Viking Electric, Grainger, or another electrical supply outfit will have those cable cutters. I've cut up to 1/2" stainless fuel line with them. That would probably be the limit.

Here's a link to a site that has them. They're at the bottom of the page, PID:727. http://www.primestock.com/default.htm?too_cut_man.asp&2

[This message has been edited by KAA (edited 08-12-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.