Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This questions is for a 68 SS with a 68 block. I would like to use a power steering pump with a resevoir built in because it is chrome. I am mounting the unit low on the driver side under the alternator. The one I have was too large and would not fit so I bought a smaller resevoir unit and that does not fit under the alternator either.....:noway:. So am i using the wrong bracket......?

I may be using the wrong Alternator bracket allowing the alternator to rest too low but based on the manual it does not appear so. I have the older two piece unit but do not want to use it as it is not chrome........

Does someone have pictures of the set up like I want....? I have looked on past posts and do not see any.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Boomer

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
The alternator placement on a '68 big block doesn't allow enough room for a power steering pump with a reservoir. I've seen a couple of cobbled up integral reservoir pumps on '68's, but the pulleys didn't line up, there was no way to adjust the belt, and there were other problems. I believe you're out of luck using any style of stock bracket, you'll have to fabricate something.
BillL

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
I believe you would have to go to the 69-72 setup using a long water pump with the alt on the passenger side to get everything to line up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was afraid of that....... but had seen some 68's with the resevoir built in but it must have been a 69 or later BB engine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would try a unit from a '67-'68 Impala or Camaro.
Both came just like what you are looking for.Give me a call or E-Mail if you can't come up with them,I have plenty in stock.
With the proper parts it can be made to look completely stock.
Is there a reason not to run the the stock remote?
Thanks Joe. 608-751-0509 [email protected]

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
This is a very tough application to fit.

Check out Alan Grove Components for brackets that might do what you wish. They have added a combination that I think does just about what you want.

I run some of their older brackets that I adapted for BBC, SWP, alt on DS, PS on DS. But I also used a remote reservoir PS pump out of a 85 Caddy Deville.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts