Team Chevelle banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts on bracket racing tactics here is mine on what I feel is a really important part of it for success.

Let's start with finish line / top end strategy I believe this is the most important part of braket racing.
So here it goes.

Top-end racing is arguably the tougher of the two.(starting line) I feel this way because a driver can systematically work on his reaction times and discover the proper method for him with repeated practice, or defer to using a delay box.(aughhh) Top-end racing is almost always an instinct game, or simply a learned skill. It is harder to 'learn the finish line' because there are so many different things that can happen on the top-end. Competitors will have different reaction times, changing their relative positions at the finish, and how close (+/-) each car runs to its dial will also change this factor. In short, how do you cope with so many different possiblities?

If you've read and understand the principles of the handicapping of bracket racing, you should already realize one thing: The general startegy is to get to the finish line first, by the least amount of time possible to minimize the chances of a breakout. There is a time to deviate from this rule, though. This is the tactic called dumping.

There is a certain time when you should consider dumping your opponent. If you know that your opponent is going to hit the finish line first, then the race is in his control. The only option you have is to simply avoid breaking out. If your opponent is going to hit the finish line first, and not break out, then he will win, regardless of what you do. If he is on a breakout pass, however, you want to maximize his breakout while minimizing your own. To do this, make sure that your opponent hits the finish line, and then lift off the throttle or hit the brakes to avoid breaking out yourself. A harder decision to make is whether or not to dump someone if you are going to finish first. If you think both of you are breaking out, you may decide to actually let your opponent around you by lifting or hitting the brakes. There are some indicators that will help you make this decision. If you think you had a better reaction time than your opponent, and you are even at the lights, then there is a chance that even if you are both on a breakout run that your opponent will break out more than you, especially if you dump him!

Despite this one tip, which is far from all-encompassing,(spelling) top end racing really comes down to your own intuition, skills, and practices.

Armed with a little background on top-end racing, it is now up to you to go out and race, practice, and formulate your own ideas on how best to race the top end!

Oh yeah one more thing I wanted to touch on, I put 2 small dots of shoe polish (so small no one has ever noticed, I just stated doing this last year and I believe other racers do this also) on my side windows. I have these dots in such a place so that when both of us are Pre-staged,(therefore both cars are even) I see where the dot mark falls on his car When we are going through the lights, I try to keep my opponent just behind the dot, thus leading him through by the least amount possible. this tactic really helps if your racing some one with a dial in close to yours, just keep in mind you cannot judge by your opponets nose of the car because most cars have different wheel bases.

:beers: :beers:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Heads Up Racing, That's Drag Racing. He who gets to the finish line first without red lighting Wins!! :D

Not everyone has an endless checkbook which is what you need to run heads up. Bracket Racing is based on driver skill. I like it so much because it's the only type of racing where you don't need an extravagant racing operation to win. I know a certain someone who made something like $18,000 in a $20 '74 Nova.

Joe

·
Registered
978 Posts
A couple of tricks....have a switch hooked to your break lights...so you can "look" like your dumping. The other is if your close at the stripe you can do the "head fake". A lot of times towards the end you keep glancing over at each other....you can lean forward as if you were hitting the breaks hard. This sometimes makes your opponent hit he binders and lets you drive around him.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I tried bracket racing for the first time last year and really enjoyed it, although I wish they had non-electronics classes where I am. I'm new and all, but to me it should be about the car, driver, and the track. All the delay boxes, etc really give a big advantage to those who run them. The whole idea with brackets was to even the field, as I understand it, then they allow all these electronics that give advantages.

Oh well, I'll keep giving it my best with the ol' right foot stomp :) I did beat one guy last year who was in a late model GTO, had enough electronics boxes and handheld weather data gear to run a space launch. I hit a .005 R/T and hit my dial on the nose. He fendered me and lost, that made it all worthwhile to see him glare at me in the pits.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
now that's what i'm talkin about foot brake cut a light and play the top end.:hurray:
I tried bracket racing for the first time last year and really enjoyed it, although I wish they had non-electronics classes where I am. I'm new and all, but to me it should be about the car, driver, and the track. All the delay boxes, etc really give a big advantage to those who run them. The whole idea with brackets was to even the field, as I understand it, then they allow all these electronics that give advantages.

Oh well, I'll keep giving it my best with the ol' right foot stomp :) I did beat one guy last year who was in a late model GTO, had enough electronics boxes and handheld weather data gear to run a space launch. I hit a .005 R/T and hit my dial on the nose. He fendered me and lost, that made it all worthwhile to see him glare at me in the pits.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Where I come from 90% of the races are won at the starting line. Learn to cut sub .030 lights every pass (Footbrake) and make your car consistent (easier said than done), and you can make some money. I dial .010 faster than the car will run and try and cut them on the tree. If they're going to beat me they are going to have to beat a sub .040 package. The majority of racers will breakout when faced with this situation because they sandbag. The ones that don't breakout are still behind me at the stripe. Well, most of the time.:D

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
A couple of tricks....have a switch hooked to your break lights...so you can "look" like your dumping. The other is if your close at the stripe you can do the "head fake". A lot of times towards the end you keep glancing over at each other....you can lean forward as if you were hitting the breaks hard. This sometimes makes your opponent hit he binders and lets you drive around him.
That's dirty poker....I like it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,983 Posts
There are all kinds of theories in bracket racing. I find the idea of looking at your opponents car in the staging lanes and lining it up to your car, as stated with the shoepolish only works if the cars are close in speed. In my case going 140 against 185 mph rear engine dragster is hard to see. But reallistically bracket racing is not about where the other car is and I think too much emphasis is put on that. Bracket racing is about knowing YOUR car. If you can hit .00-.02 light consistantly (and go red sometimes) and you can dial your car based on known conditions you will win. It all comes down to practice and good record keeping. You need to know how your car will react to weather, wind, and track conditions. The only way to do this is to go to the track a lot and practice under different conditions.

·
Registered
159 Posts
There are all kinds of theories in bracket racing. I find the idea of looking at your opponents car in the staging lanes and lining it up to your car, as stated with the shoepolish only works if the cars are close in speed. In my case going 140 against 185 mph rear engine dragster is hard to see. But reallistically bracket racing is not about where the other car is and I think too much emphasis is put on that. Bracket racing is about knowing YOUR car. If you can hit .00-.02 light consistantly (and go red sometimes) and you can dial your car based on known conditions you will win. It all comes down to practice and good record keeping. You need to know how your car will react to weather, wind, and track conditions. The only way to do this is to go to the track a lot and practice under different conditions.
I agree with your philosophy Ray. I'm sure you do well if you use this strategy. Just stay away from those red bulbs.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
415 Posts
This is really an informative thread for a new guy like me, and makes me feel better about my observations at the track. Where I race it seems everyone in the street class sandbags like hell...which may be the case everywhere...but I noticed the sandbaggers can't do anything with you if you go out there and cut a good light and get close to your dial. Makes them race YOUR race and they lose.

Not saying there's anything wrong w/ sandbagging, other than it annoys me and makes me want to make my car faster :D But I'm also in the middle of a major rebuild and know that can be a slippery, and expensive, slope.

Thanks for all the generous info!

·
Super Moderator
13,359 Posts
I raced my Camaro for almost 15 years, have over 3000 log book passes documented, won a fair number of races and did real well in the points. That being said, when I first started, a good friend told me to do two things:

1. Sit in your car for an hour at night and go through all the motions of making a pass. Do it over and over and over. Every thing from starting the engine to staging etc et. You should be able to do it with your eyes closed. Do it exactly the same every time.

2. Absolutely, absolutely, absolutely forget about the guy in the other lane at the starting line. Run every run like it was a time run / bogey run. Do everything exactly the same every time. Consistancy is the name of the game.

I never felt real comfortable in taking my eyes of the track when going 130 mph at the finish line, so as a result I was not a good finish line driver. I would always know about where the other guy was, so if he broke or had a serious problem, I could get ou of it abit, but I never was hitting brakes etc. If you kake the car and driver consistant enough, yo will win races.

Keep track of every run you make at every track. Most real good bracket racers can get to the track and dial thier cars pretty close without ever making a time run. They can do that because they have records of what the car has run before in similar conditions, plus they know what the other guys at the track typically run.

Consistancy and if you want to win, stop worrying about how fast you are running, it doesn't matter. My Camaro ran basiacally the same number for 15 years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts