Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevelle SS
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to fab a bracket for my Jeep Gladiator to mount a brake system breakaway air cylinder. I can't for the life of me find any place to mount this thing and came up with an idea (using cardboard) to make a bracket.

I know diddly about working with sheet metal, so have some questions. My thinking is to buy a cheapie HF brake and bend a 5" - 6" wide piece of sheet metal into the shape below (bracket is in black).

I don't know what material would be best to use: sheet steel, aluminum, SS? And what gauge (or thickness)? And in what order would I do the bends (starting from the bottom going up and to the right)?

The cylinder is just under 12" tall with a solenoid and fittings on top and about 2" in diameter. My guess is it weighs 1 - 1/2 lbs.

The gauge of metal will determine how much I'll spend on the brake. I'm OK with the $250-ish floor standing brake.

Thoughts?

Thanks...

Mark
Bracket.jpg

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevelle SS
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Crickets...

56 views and no replies? I did brush my teeth and shower... 😉

Anyway, after a few hours of web surfing and Youtube vids, I’m thinking 1/8” mild steel and a SWAG finger press brake (12 ton). I already have the press. I’ll have to pay the extra $$ to have them weld it as my welding skills are minimal and time is an issue.

If anyone reading this is familiar with the SWAG unit, will it bend the tight back-to-back opposing bends as shown on my diagram?

TIA

Mark

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
Maybe take it to a metal fab shop? If you only need one

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Do you have access to a propane torch to soften the metal (for no cracks) and cutting tools? You could likely make this yourself using materials on the steel bar stock aisle at Lowes or Home Depot.

It seems like you have already done the hard part - the design and creation of a cardboard template.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevelle SS
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe take it to a metal fab shop? If you only need one
Well, my dimensions are ‘rough’ using a piece of cardboard to mock up. I might need to modify the design a bit - it’s a real tight area I’m trying to fit the cylinder into.

Besides, I like to buy tools! 😁

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
For something 5 inches, I'd likely hammer it out in my 6 inch bench vise. A portable MAPP - Oxy torch to get the bend hot would help (the portable $50 kind if you don't have one.) Try not to bash it too hard with a blacksmith hammer to make the shape. I'd start with the middle bend first and work my way out. For a one time take under a frame this should fit, form and function. If you want perfection and are willing to spend, unless you want the $250 brake as a future tool, you could be someone to make that for a lot less than $250. Or get a guy that welds to but together a couple of stock pieces into that shape would still be maybe a $20 bill or two.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
A quickie route would be to get 3 angle brackets from Home Depot/Lowes/etc and bolt or weld them together.

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevelle SS
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, being a 'tool junkie', I did order the SWAG finger press brake and a new set of press plates (can't find the ones I bought before - think they're still at my old house where my daughter lives). A couple pieces of 1/8" mild steel to play with and I'll have my bracket. I plan to have it powdercoated along with a few Chevelle parts once I get it bent up and my mounting holes drilled.

Think I need a new belt/disc sander too to knock down the edges & corners... 😁

I do have a MIG machine (and a buzz box), but my welding skills are so-so. I could use the practice, but I need to get this thing finished pretty quickly.

My kids (oldest probably) are going to have a pretty nice shop setup once I'm gone! :ROFLMAO:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts