Team Chevelle banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's a 68 EF '440' 396 block and the seller, who didn't know much swore it was a 427. Well I just found out why. I got hold of the original owner that built the car.
.030" over 396 with a 4.155" bore and a 454 4.00" crank = 434. I've never known anyone with this combo, but have heard of it. The motor pulls VERY hard! This is what he used: http://www.speedomotive.com/ps-75-7-chevy-396-to-434-budget-stroker-kit.aspx

Anyone want to guess HP/Torque?
4.155 bore
4.00 stroke
10.25 compression
215 closed chamber oval port heads 2.19" / 1.88" Mild port job
Comp 286 - 236 & .050" .556 lift square - on 110 degrees
Edelbrock dual quads

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I don't like to answer my own questions and actually I didn't, but I'll share with what I found out about my combo.

I asked my buddy, Peter Delasandro, 82 years young, WW II vet and a 35 year retiree from GM, mostly at the Tech center. He knew Zora Arkus Duntov, Bill Mitchell, and a lot of famous automotive folks. He built the first Late model Impala SS....on his own...a 540. He had his own shop AND did a LOT of secret R&R in the tech center. This guy has stotries that are simply AMAZING!

here was his VERY intersteing reply to my question about my combo:

Now that is funny...back in late1980 i built a 434 in. (same bore/stroke as yours)12.5 compression with tricked out closed chambers for my shop landloard and it went into his black 1970 camino . Brodix dual plane intake, 4779 holley (750 double pump). traction was awful but he still ran in the high-11's..... As you know the 348-409 was made primarly for trucks, but was not acceptd by the truck buying public..So then comes the Mark to replace the "W" motors. . closed chamber make torque,so it was ideal for truckers... then the engineers said hey lets see if we can make horsepower and that is how the open chambers came on board..
yes! i did build a bunch of closed chamber motors. we geared the cars to take advantage of it's torque capability...for example a motor with open chamber would need a 4:56 gear, the closed chamber could run with a 3:73 with the same results..
IMO a heavy vehicle is better with closed chambers and with some trick head work the closed chamber is ausume!
I know the feeling (i want more power)You have a good set-up just leave it alone ..if you should blow the motor then is the time to build a low $$ over 454 (576cu.in.)with a small roller hyd...it would be a turn-key monster

back in the keys i did the complete machine and engineering for a customer with a bunch of old parts he had laying around. .A rusted up old 454 marine block that i had to bore it out .100 thousand, and with a 396 crank, LS7 connecting rods, (4.350x 3.760 stroke =447cu.in.) a set of massaged closed chamber heads, 11.7 cr ..One of my Reed marine grind solid roller camshafts , 1.8 rocker arms, Dart intake,4780 holley 800cfm, Davis DUI distributor, When i reved it up on my engine stand it sounded like Roger Penske's Sunoco Spl. trans am 302 small block...it will be going in his 67 chevelle convertable (if he ever gets it finisned)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.