Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m leaving for Canada today. When I return I’m facing an electrical problem thats a little confusing on my 1964 with gauges. Maybe the Team can give me some inputs to read when I get back,that might start me on the right track.

The left and right tail lights flash correctely, BUT when the directional lever is in the off position both tail light flash at the same time. apply the brake and the flashing stops, let go of the brake and it starts again. I do not have a hazard warning system.

I have not installed the front running lights.

Thanks ahead of time. Any input would help.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Try removing the flasher can. The rear lights should stop flashing in the off mode. Next I would unplug the turn signal switch connector. On the switch connector (not the harness) measure between the black/white and the purple while the switch is in the off position. There should be no connection. Suspect you will see one.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John. I don’t seem to have a switch connector, just a harness half moon configuration then everything goes into the fuse block from that connector.Do you mean at the cancell cam.

I think I have the flasher and backup light problem solved now, because I kept having multiple problems everything was not always the same. I lucked into a couple of solutions:

The directional harness connector is very sensitive to proper pin alignment.
The other end of the harness up inside the turn signal cam. The metal detent spring was not straight up & down, causing them to short against the other spring.

New Problem
Why would my starter engage? With my ignition key in the on position? I moved the shift lever to reverse to see if I had backup lights (yes). I moved past neutral to somewhere around drive and my engine turned over. I did not go into start with the key. Just the shift lever which is not hooked up to the transmission yet

If the metal tang is not in the proper place on the neutral safety switch ( think it is) would that let my starter turn without turning the key into the start position??

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
"Thanks John. I don’t seem to have a switch connector, just a harness half moon configuration then everything goes into the fuse block from that connector.Do you mean at the cancell cam."

Doesn't that half moon piece come apart? One end is tied on the harness, the other on the turn signal wires?

Strange it starts in the ON position. You shouldn't have any power on the ignition switch purple wire except in the run position. Bad switch??

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"On the switch connector (not the harness)" Yes it comes apart. I didn’t understand.

The ignition and neutral safety switch are new. I'll hook up the shift linkage and re-install the neutral safety switch.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally found the REAL problem. The fuse block on the inside firewall had a terminal that was not installed with enough spacing, between the terminal behind it. When the fuse block attach to the firewall the attach screws would tightened the block the terminal would bend back and touch the terminal clip behind it.

This short was between the instrument fuse terminal and the heater fuse located at the clips to the right of the fuses for attaching additional wires. I reshaped the terminal , also placed some rubber between the problem and mounted the wiring block.

Now to get some real wok done.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the same problems with my brake lights flashing together while the turn signal switch is in the off position. Could you describe how you fixed the problem with a little more detail so that i can take it kind of step by step, if so you're a life saver. Thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by Brob:
Now to get some real wok done.
Don't you just hate paying someone for these little things? I'll stick to a Dutch oven versus a Wok.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SBEsie, It's a little long and I ramble a little.

First of all I’m installing all new harnesses mad by M&H.

Check This Connector FIRST.

I found that the electrical plug going from your steering column to the dash harness is a little temperamental be sure it connected correctly It’s the plug the is elliptical in shape

Have you changed anything to start this problem if so retrace you work. Because of this short I had several strange things happing to my dash lights, tail lights, and brake lights.

On way to try and isolate the problem is to remove and then replace one fuse at a time to see if the problem goes away. ( naturally when you remove the instrument fuse your tail lights will stop flashing.)

I disconnected my battery each time I removed a fuse. Lots of work but I didn’t want to short out other fuses.

In my case when the Heater/AC fuse was out my instrument circuit worked correctly. So I had to figure why is my heater circuit giving me a problem. That how I found my two terminals touching. Plus when I removed the wiring/fuse block from the fire wall the problem went away but I saw what I thought was a clearance problem between the two terminals.

I finally found the REAL problem. The fuse block on the inside firewall had a terminal that was not installed with enough spacing, between the terminal behind it. When the fuse block attached to the firewall the attach screws would tightened the block against the firewall the terminal would bend back and touch the terminal clip behind it.

All of the wiring that’s behind the wiring/fuse block is pressed against the fire wall pad when you tighten the two screws. The design of the wiring/fuse block allows some space between the block and firewall but not much. Some care should be given when tightening things up, maybe just snug not over tight.

This short was between the Instrument fuse and the Heater/AC fuse located at the clips to the right of the fuses for attaching additional wires. (This is looking at the back of the wiring/Fuse Block)

I had two different wire terminals touching each other. You can remove the two mounting screws and just let the fuse block hang. Then see if you problem has gone away. Look at the back side you may see another terminal touching something.

I reshaped (bent) the terminal, also placed some rubber between the problems and mounted the wiring block.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts