Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

141 - 160 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
The eagle has landed.

This round I went back to my aluminum flywheel. I have mixed feelings about this flywheel but hoping with 40ci more displacement, much better torque bottom end cam, slipper clutch, and boost control it will leave coming out of the hole a lot better. IF I can build at least 3-5psi on the 2-step it will be gone.

Got some more interesting upgrading coming up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Progress. So here’s a little upgrade. Found a brand new Garrett GTX 5018r locally that should drop back pressure and bring up the boost a lot. Quit the size difference between the two looking at older photos. Ball bearing option sure is nice over the journal. I don’t expect this to hinder spool times at all. Even came with a stainless steel Tial exhaust housing. Fit might be a slight problem, we’ll see. Maybe have to sent the inner fender in the select locations. Working on a 6” intake for it now as we speak.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Well things are progressing at a pretty decent pace. Some small stuff to finish up but the biggest now is retro-fitting the new turbo in place. Doesn’t look like it will take too much work. Buddy of mine spun up some adapter flanges to the tial housing, just need to find the right size v-band clamps. Here’s a picture of the 4” to 5” adaptor with v-band machined into it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Well that sucks... summit Midwest drag got postponed till 2021. I was on a good schedule, if anything ahead for once. Ah well probably for the best.

Anyways got the electric boost control completed up. It’s a 2-3port solenoid setup. All controlled by super sniper. Dome and MAP control.

Oil cooler line for the turbo completed. Mounted in a 1 way check valve so it doesn’t drain back through the block as well a filter. Used a Aeromotive fuel filter in this case, keeps it simpletons I only need to pack 1 extra filter cartridge instead of 2 different types. This is a 40 micron stainless.

Oil cooler mounted. It is sitting underneath the drivers seat near the frame. Most likely build a small scoop for it to pickup more air. Hopefully this turns out to be a good location. I couldn’t get it to the front with -10AN lines due to a bunch of turbo exhaust everywhere.

Vacuum catch cans all hooked up. I did this one on the cheap. I was going to fabricate a aluminum 3/4” Y-fitting. Instead I went to home depo and got some brass fittings and be done with it, HAH! I am sure it will work fine.

Secondary fuel line to the sniper done as well, pretty basic there. Also fixed the throttle WOT. Was only achieving 90%, now it’s fully 100%.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Well the intake got out of control! 6” inlet With a 12” long by 7.5” diameter filter. Roughy is on a 4.5-5.00” bend CLR. Not my best work but for my first pie cut bend fabrication I am happy. Will post up some pictures once I finish weld everything.

Anyone know where I can get a 6” coupler? Right now I am thinking a rubber sewer one is my only bet. I can’t find anything in silicone.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
And Vroom... she’s running now!

Took it for a quick 20min test drive and holy crap. A 540 with a zz502 cam is very torque. Just tons. Responsive is a understatement. I will NEED to switch over to a progressive linkage for street driving. It is literally a light switch right now. Power is definitely up. I used my old fuel mapping from the 502, it was so off it would even run till I figured it out. Way outside of the snipers correction limits. Brought fueling up over 20% so far is runs great with very minimal correction.

Will most likely follow the following break in:

30min very easy run time change oil
500km mild run time change oil
500km ramp in boost change oil
Full nut, ready to rock then.

Right now I am seeing some brass in the oil. Not to sure what it is, thinking the crankshaft end play is too tight right now. I don’t have anything I the motor that is brass besides the valve guides. Distributor gear is melonized, checked it and looks great. Will ride it out on the short term and monitor oil before getting to excessive.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Progressive linkage install. This should be standard for sniper setups!

Smoothest transition yet, is nothing like the old double pumpers carbs. To be honest you don’t even feel when the secondaries are opening. Got mine set as early as possible with is 30%. You still have the ability to run it at 1-1 if you want the aggressive throttle.

Holley 20-122.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
So I had some conflict with a 6” intake elbow I made and a charge tube. Solution cut out enough so they both work. This is probably the most complex piece I have built, roughly 30hra or more into it. Heh and it doesn’t even look that good. Ahh well. As long as it functions. The section is 4” tubing in a 3.5” slot. So I figure the fabricated dent is in the 6” rough by 1.25”. Should hinder flow too to effect performance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Nice build! In your 1 photo of the valve spring, which shows the rocker studs, I would suggest putting in studs with more shank portion, so the fulcrum of the rocker engages more shank, instead of sitting mostly against threads. Takes some play out of the rocker movement. ARP 135-7202 for the intakes.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
So been a while since a update but yea here’s a new one.

So got the car running, turns out after 3 oil changes after the first startup I had a thrust bearing failure. It didn’t damage anything which was good but a giant practice in tearing everything back down. Thrust bearing clearance opened up to 10thou. 3 oil changes in a total of 40min if run time revealed a copper pan. Not fun. Root cause I figured was the surface finish on the crank thrust face was too rough. So had the crank cut and polish on the thrust, now set at 5thou.

So after a complete disassembly and rebuild it is back up and running. Oil still containing some after even after the block was clear eve but I am sure it will take some time to get it out of the pours of the block itself.

Man this thing is a beast, even with zero boost it just torque rips the tires loose. I never really experienced tire shake in this car before but now It’s all the way to the end of 2nd. Will have some suspension tuning to do.

Zz502 cam in a 540 is a excellent choice for drivability! It just lumps everywhere it wants to at any rpm. That said with a 5000rpm limit, so far, it comes extremely quick. Might have to raise that up, not sure if this combo will make more power past 5000 without a rising boost curve to match it, time will tell.

While it was apart I upgraded to head studs and finished up the intake for the air filter. Filter measures 12” long 8” diameter, with a 6” inlet, should be large enough not to require pulling it off at the track for big boost production. Had to make my own 6” coupler which was a fernco fitting for sewer pipe.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Might remake that elbow, not totally satisfied with how it turned out. Some time will be spent in this corner this year upgrading the charge pipe to 3.5” as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Typical turbo blues... cracked header pipe.

This one definitely on me. Because of braking in the motor I ran significantly retard timing. 15 degrees up to 2750rpm and then advance to 36. No vacuum advance, so cruising around everywhere I didn’t realize how hot the header got until last night. Was at buddies place and seen it was cherry red hot. Basically it was pulling flakes of steel off. Almost looks like it got slightly re-molded from the tight header wrap, Yikes! Exhaust valve looked good on the bore scope.

Better bring that timing up, lesson learned.

Still loving the cubes/cam combo. HAH I can cruise around at 1200rpm, pulls 7-8% grade hills at 1500rpm and accelerate in 6th, don’t even need gas pedal coming off a red for clutch engagement. Hopefully it delivers on the top end when the time comes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Well, 3psi boost and I am at 85% capacity of a 340lph fuel pump.

got a chunk of aluminum to make a better dual fuel pump hanger. The one I made leaked like a sieve.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
got this for free, hood has about 6 dents so... why not cut it up!

gonna paint it black tomorrow, it’s growing on me more than my 4” finer glass one.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
Well... here’s a patina hood for yea.

so I went to use some paint stripper and clean this hood up for paint. Got started into it and WOW 6 coats of paint on this dam thing. So as me and the wife are scrapping the paint she says, “this thing is cool, looks like a tiger strip hood”. So on comes a light bulb. Let’s try and keep it!

so first attempt at true patina and it looks like it matched my faded original paint pretty good. So paint stripper, 1hr at a car wash removing the loose shit, dry it and.... finally recipe was WD-40 coating. Let the WD-40 set in for 1hr and then wiped it down. Results are good, some probably won’t like it, others will love it. Nice change up for something obvious.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
well 2 hrs to the track and 2 hrs back. used only 90L of fuel for the entire trip.

temps there was 173, temps back was 165.

developed a pretty bad misfire around 2000-2500, need to figure this one out

Results.... spin fest!

1/8mi
60ft - 2.30
1/8mi - 8.120 @ 97mph.

clearly with that mph it should be a high 6 or bottom 7. boost average through 4 gears was 2.5psi.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I’m guessing that was not a prepped track. Rimby? I’ve never raced there, it opened after I moved away.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
The new fuel pump assembly. Me and a buddy machined this out of that solid block of aluminum. 6x6x1.5” square. No leaks for this double pump setup. Here’s a couple in progress photos.

gatta get this thing done, I’m hittin the dyno this coming Friday!

141 - 160 of 196 Posts