Team Chevelle banner
221 - 236 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Check out a motor mount heat shield from a 2nd gen 4.3 S10. May work for you.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,100 Posts
Well that looks problematic

went to change the engine oil after the big trip, noticed a gob of poly hanging off a tie rod end and yea. First picture is driver side, next is passenger side. Engine oil looked good for the engine still being fresh. Half dozen flakes in the pan, can’t complain.

anyone else have a solution, not switching to solids yet. Might try to find a heat shield or fabricate something.

View attachment 717147 View attachment 717148
One other thing that might be relatively inexpensive if you can fit them is to switch to the later models "clamshell" motor mounts as the motor mount bolts to the frame rail and the "clamshell" bolts to the block.The clamshell would actually block most of the heat just by their design & where they bolt up to the block.
Don't know if you could fit them but I doubt heat would affect even the stock ones as the factory switched to this type in 73 or so because the emission era's lean mixtures led to some higher exhaust manifold temps. Just a thought from a rambling mind. :cool:

Reactions: VinceS427bb

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 · (Edited)
Small update. Changed out the other motor mount. Found a cracked header again, same place as it cracked before. Probably my welding ability was down since I had a couple beer :)

Dyno day this Saturday!!!

Any guess’s on what 10psi will yield with a basically stock 540 on pump. Expecting a 5500rpm tap out.

Sky Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 · (Edited)
Sweet maple syrup!!!

856hp 986trq wheel at 5400rpm. Pump gas at 10.5psi.

So we drove a total of 4hrs to the dyno. Went to see my buddy with the dirty drag week dart! First pull after a 2hr haul was 750 wheel, even he was surprised hah!

we started at 7psi and went up to 10.5-11psi peak. At this horsepower level we decided not to keep going as the spark plug heat range was getting too hot NGK 5’s. As well there was a little spark scatter going on 1-2 runs so I will need to upgrade to a phasAble distributor rotor.

EGT system worked and boy I will tell you that brodix dual plane has wicked distribution. Difference was around 50f between all cylinders. #1 ran the hottest at 1500f I believe this is beachside of how the fuel swirls off the sniper throttle blades. That said it stayed the same moving up in boost.

also boostane for the win! With all the mid range timing in it I picked up well over 50hp/50trq running some octane boost between 3500-4500rpm. I’ll be honest, it’s the only shit I have seen work. This was done on a back to back test, no timing or boost changes.

so with 4psi left on the table that is a addition 150hp, I’ll break 1k whp on pump with a little juice when I am done :)

I am pleased with the result especially as this is all built by myself. Only thing out sourced was block machine work.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive design

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
So it was time for some heat armour on the hood. This one spot where it is single pa el under the hood bracing gets ridiculous... like 100-150c hot. At some point it’s gonna burn the paint. Some cool products from DEI for cheap souls clean that up. Looks very clean and almost factory!

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design
Hood Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
are you going to wrap the hot side of turbo with a jacket??
it should help contain the heat also...
Font Auto part Rectangle Metal Fashion accessory

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
are you going to wrap the hot side of turbo with a jacket??
it should help contain the heat also...
no... for now. From a lot of reading it seems that the turbo blanket does do good in that regards but it also overloads the exhaust side bearing with additional heat. When doing a “daily”/no trailer deal that’s not an ideal situation. As much as it is about making power, reliability is #1. I’ve talked to a couple people with similar builds and noted it’s not a good idea. Use a loose fitting heat shield if required which is on the list for this winter.

all that said I have not given up on the idea, just trying to figure out how to effectively monitor temperatures of the Center cartridge so i can test it.

·
Premium Member
9,100 Posts
Sweet maple syrup!!!
856hp 986trq wheel at 5400rpm. Pump gas at 10.5psi.
So we drove a total of 4hrs to the dyno. Went to see my buddy with the dirty drag week dart! First pull after a 2hr haul was 750 wheel, even he was surprised hah!
we started at 7psi and went up to 10.5-11psi peak. At this horsepower level we decided not to keep going as the spark plug heat range was getting too hot NGK 5’s. As well there was a little spark scatter going on 1-2 runs so I will need to upgrade to a phasAble distributor rotor.

EGT system worked and boy I will tell you that brodix dual plane has wicked distribution. Difference was around 50f between all cylinders. #1 ran the hottest at 1500f I believe this is beachside of how the fuel swirls off the sniper throttle blades. That said it stayed the same moving up in boost.

also boostane for the win! With all the mid range timing in it I picked up well over 50hp/50trq running some octane boost between 3500-4500rpm. I’ll be honest, it’s the only shit I have seen work. This was done on a back to back test, no timing or boost changes.

so with 4psi left on the table that is a addition 150hp, I’ll break 1k whp on pump with a little juice when I am done
:)

I am pleased with the result especially as this is all built by myself. Only thing out sourced was block machine work.

View attachment 720710
View attachment 720711
I have to admit it's one of the better build up's on TC.You might want to name it Turbeau

Reactions: GoFast Beaumont

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
Back to the track! Hit up the Southern fastest street car shoutout today. 3hr drive one way, 6hrs in total... trailers suck! Smokin hot, 29c today at the track. Big improvement compared to the last event. Last time in the 1/8th I averaged 7.280 @ 96mph. Now I am 6.84 @ 108mph! Almost 0.5sec faster and 12mph. Lots of steam there. Last run I went in heavy and spun out the 60ft.

tune wise I went up from 10-11 to a solid 12psi and upped the timing 1 degree For a total of 26. Gonna bring in another degree next outting.

couple things I am learning and regurgitating.... get the slipper system, 2 step, boost builder. I bet with these 3 on-board and working it should go 6.50’s. New one is I need front shocks as well, likes to bounce pretty good in between shifts now.

I will get some more pictures up later...

Font Material property Rectangle Receipt Event

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
suspension seems to be doing its job. About a 2” reverse rake on launch. Front end is basically full extension. Anyone recommend shocks, the front bobs between gears pretty good. Thinking AFCO’s, not sure what’s available for a dual purpose setup.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

race of the day for me was a buddy and his duster with a F1 pro charger and g-force 4 speed. Got him on this run

Sky Tire Car Wheel Cloud

yup, wouldn’t be a trip unless you stopped for fast food!

Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Car

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 · (Edited)
Ok winter upgrade list!

johnny joint motor mounts
Rebuild my old throw out bearing
SHOCKS!!! Goin ride tech HQ adjustable I’m thinking
Upper and lower bushing set front control arms (del-rum)
Axle bearings and seals
Wilwood rear drag disk kit.
0.50 OD gear set for T56 magnum
Pull exhaust up and make it lighter
Slipper clutch install
Holeshot drag wheels - if the budget permits!

also, Anyone got any ideas how to get a car across the border??? Was thinking of signing up for Sick Week in Feb.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Nice reaction times on those slips!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
Yea buddy!!! Made the early registration cut. Hopefully everything works out and I can get there

so drive the car there, shrink wrap it on a open trailer, or just get a enclosed… decisions

Font Poster Rectangle Art Logo

221 - 236 of 236 Posts