Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought you guys would enjoy some pics of a blown engine.

I barely know the guy but I stole these pics off his myspace. hope he doesnt mind.

Anyways, its a stock bottom end 396. happened at the track and last I heard he was running a 250 shot and he let off mid way down...

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Now that's what you call catastrophic failure :eek:

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
JB Chemweld it and put 'er back together :D

Wow, hate to see that happen to anybody. Can you imagine what some of these ricers look like when they overdo the spray? Gotta look and sound like a box of bolts in a blender.

·
Premium Member
6,426 Posts
wow looks like the ford 460 at my builders shop guy was towing a trailer and the piston just decided to leave the rod lol.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Thanks guys. I was looking at Summit's website and looking at high temp sleeves and I completely forgot about header wrap. Duh. I have used it on my motorcycles that had an under seat exhaust. It'll make your legs REALLY warm while street riding.

I'll just wrap it around that section of my speedo cable and use thin clamps to hold it on each side. Anyways, thanks for ideas.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Anybody seen my piston? Oh wait, there it is. And there. And there.

I bet the rod bent, then the piston busted on the crank, then the rod went through the wall again and again until it beat the piston to oblivion.

Moral of the story, get better rods for that much juice.

Magnets and Al don't work out as well as most think they do. ;)

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
"compressioned", With our old small blocks years ago {with stock rods} we found out you have to lift easy with an automatic or put it in "N" so you dont compression the engine, If you dont do so it will pull the pin right out of the piston and that appears that thats what could have happened here

Did he lift off the throttle just before it happened? If so thats what happened, thats why in an automatic i suggest not using the front band as that gives it engine breaking when the band is installed and it will compression and pull the pin right out of the piston

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
premature wear? :)

·
Premium Member
6,426 Posts
lol to much spray maybe its hard to say less you was the one driving when it happened.

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
I had similar thing happen to me in 1968 at Martin Dragway. I didn't know that you could remove pistons through the crankcase. I removed the crank without taking off the oil pan too. Neat trick! I saved the water pump.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm no expert, but that doesn't look like a very stout bottom end. With a 250 shot thrown at it... no wonder it went BOOM! :clonk:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts