Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I inquired if anyone knew of any publication which had info on Z-11/427 Mystery engines. Someone told me a Book title and where to find it and the part/order number. I got one and it has disappeared so I need to get another. Is the person still out there who turned me onto this book? If so, I would appreciate the info again.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DZAUTO (edited 03-29-99).]

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just checking.

------------------

·
Registered
37 Posts
Z-11 as in Camaro Pace Car or ZL-1 as in Corvette/Camaro aluminum engine??

------------------

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are a young whipper-snapper, aren't you.
It is as in 1963 full size Chevrolet with a very special version of the 409. But it wasn't a 409. It was a 409 stroked to 427, they made 57. It was a 2 X 4 engine with a cowl induction air cleaner (the snorkle was extra wide and went back to right firewall where an oval hole was cut into the firewall to allow fresh air to come in from the base of the right side of the windshield. The Z11 was a complete package. It was an Impala (NOT an SS), from the firewall forward EVERYTHING was aluminum, even the bumpers. they were all 4sp, posi, tach, 2 piece, that's right 2piece aluminum 2 X 4 intake, a huge cowl air cleaner raised port heads, header type cast iron exhaust manifolds. And God knows what else. Only us old timers know about these cars.
Plus there was a second 427 engine in 1963. It was the forrunner or prototype to todays big block. It physically looked like todays big block, but todays parts, for the most part will not interchange. Crank journals were smaller and head bolt pattern was different. IT WAS NOT AVAILABLE IN A PRODUCTION CAR! Only SPECIAL NASCAR racers could buy it out the back door of Chev, like Junior Johnson, Rex white and Smokey Yunick. It was built in secret by the engineers of Chev and when the big brass upstairs found out about it, it was killed. But when it was breathing, it kicked EVERYONE and took no prisoners. This 427 was called the "427 Mystery Engine" because it appeared out of nowhere and disappeared.
Anyway, the book I am talking about has LOTS of excellent early day Chev power and interviews with the people behind Chevs hp development. Something happened to the book I had and I want to get another one. I was turned on to the book by someone on this site.

------------------

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have found out that the title is FAST CHEVYS by Alex Gabbard. I cannot find it listed in the book section. Anyone know where I can get this book?
This is excellent reading for anyone who wants to know some good inside info about Chev power development.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DZAUTO (edited 03-30-99).]

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks ACE,
I tried and tried at work to locate this on Amazon with no luck, but at home I found it first time. But when I got to the last page to confirm the order I got a "cannot connect to server" message. Maybe I'm not supposed to have this book.

------------------

·
Registered
37 Posts
DZ,
You made me feel bad about the Z-11 so I did some research. I will send you an e-mail with some fantastic pictures.
Thanks for opening my eyes.

Dan

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great!
I finally found a source for the book and got another copy. I will guard this one much more closely.

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.