Team Chevelle banner

Bondo versus spot puddy

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Raven1 
#1 · (Edited)
Can Spot Puddy be used to "fill" 1/8" to 1/4" thick?

I have a steering column I "converted" to floor shift; I sliced off the "bump" for the lever, made a small sheet metal patch (wedged in the hole), and then filled the hole with JB weld... Now I need to build up the outer contour of the collar...

But since this is the only "body work" I am planning anytime soon, I didn't really want to spend the money on a big can of filler (Bondo)...

Can I just used several layers of spot filler??? Or will that cause problems?

Thanks

#3 ·
Spot Putty is just a Laqcuer Based Filler used for very small Pin Holes or scratches and usually doesn't take well when applying Enamel Finishes unless primed with Epoxy and even then if you're lucky it will not bubble after a few months. Anything deeper then 1/8" the spot putty will probably not harden and takes forever to harden even using a slight skiff. I recommend you stay away from Spot Putty at all costs. You can buy a Super Fine Bondo thats works better and dries almost immediately and sands smoother then Spot Putty. I would just use a Hi-Strength Bondo with long fiber's in that area as the floor does tend to flex.

#5 ·
I would just use a Hi-Strength Bondo with long fiber's in that area as the floor does tend to flex.
Sorry for the confusion, this is for the steering column... I removed the shift lever from the column, and I am trying to make the column look like a floor-shift version (tilt column)...

Thanks, guess I will look into getting a small amount of Bondo...

#4 ·
Pirahna Putty is a finishing putty that you add hardner to.
Can be used to finish over bondo as it's porous or to do minor dings and such.
Glazing putty is used for small rock chips and such and doesn't have hardner added to it.
1/4 " I would think you'd need to use bondo type. Get a local body shop to give you a little along with a little harner. Mix it up when you get ready to use.
Just an idea.

#7 ·
Kitty hair is long strand. For this application (steering column)short strand reinforced filler is more suitable. Many manufacturers from which to choose. NAPA has their repackaged brand, Evercoat, USC. Spot putty is ancient history. If need be, use Icing or Evercoat glazing for finish work. (available is different consistencies). Each require hardener and provide excellent sandability. Not intended for excessive mil build however. But even regular filler is fine as a final skimcoat for this job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.