Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a bolt on fiberglass hood from Unlimited Products. It has a provision for hinges and front hood latch. The problem it that there is no "cut-out" in the underside of the hood (like factory) for the safty hook (the hook part sticking up from the release mechanism) to catch into. Should I cut a hole for it to go into? I really dont think I should cut the hook off the car. Anyone come across this?

·
Registered
308 Posts
You can cut a squre hole then bend a peice of 1" flat stock in half you can try the flat stock with holes at HD then slip it in the hole catch the edge then bang it all the way on. Then 1 of those big rivets. Just make sure you get the right locaton

·
Registered
175 Posts
i agree. my 67 came with a fiberglass cowl hood... hoodpins in it etc. (installed in the wrong spot i might add.) everytime i looked at the car i guess the seller would push the hood down so it looked good. when i got the car home, the center of the hood would bulge up, almost like it was buckling from edge to edge. what i have learned is that the hood hinges are WAY too strong for a fiberglass/lighter than factory steel weight hood. thus, its buckling. i have a NOS hood that needs some fab work, hopefully i can get the crappy hood pins out easily and get everything back to NORMAL!

just my experience...

it may also be that the hood is tightened too much on the hood spring assembly or my holes up front were done completely incorrectly. will post a pic of my problem with the fiberglass hood tomorrow, that way you dont have the same issues!

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Sorry man but Unlimited Products stuff is very poor quality. Great for a race car but when it comes to glass you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help. Yes, I have discovered that this is a poor quality hood. Im OK with it because my original is just too far gone for a novice body guy like me. Thanks JAPAR - good advice - I will post pics of what I did to fix

1 - 6 of 6 Posts