Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1972 Chevelle SS | 454 & TH400
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the front two body mount bolts out, the pass side bolt is out the driver side sheared off (picture), and the two trunk ones are spinning from the get go. Can I cut and fold at the red lines?

Am I missing any others?

Next on the body removal you can see the size of my garage...... I can possibly move the car across the street to my buddys garage of the same size while I work on the frame but how.. Cheap is key here otherwise ill change the mounts and call it a day. I would love to sandblast underneath and do it right but might not be able to!

EDIT: I am going to check but I think I can save a few dollars and get a sandblaster and have the car towed to the base garage and do the sandblasting with there air supply......

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Did you remove the bolts in the front of the trunk (at the back edge of the wheel well)? How about the bolts in the center of the doors? The driver's side bolt at the back seat is located right under that bracing. You may want to drill up through the floor to find it in order to make the smallest hole possible. Yes, you can cut on those red lines, but you may need to use an air chisel to knock the nuts off if they are very rusty. As far as getting the body to your buddy's house: Get the body totally free (all bolts removed), push the entire car to your friends house on the frame, get 6-8 friends and lift the body off and set it in his garage. Then just push the frame back and restore it.

·
Premium Member
1972 Chevelle SS | 454 & TH400
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you remove the bolts in the front of the trunk (at the back edge of the wheel well)? How about the bolts in the center of the doors? The driver's side bolt at the back seat is located right under that bracing. You may want to drill up through the floor to find it in order to make the smallest hole possible. Yes, you can cut on those red lines, but you may need to use an air chisel to knock the nuts off if they are very rusty. As far as getting the body to your buddy's house: Get the body totally free (all bolts removed), push the entire car to your friends house on the frame, get 6-8 friends and lift the body off and set it in his garage. Then just push the frame back and restore it.

Love it ingenious idea on pushing it there... can't believe that answer is so simple lol.

I didn't remove the bolts at the back edge of the wheel well...didn't know! I will get to those then. Any idea where to spray PB at? Didn't see any posts on them in particular.

What do you mean drill up through the floor?? You mean more towards the inside of the car, under the bracing?

Thanks though!

·
Registered
430 Posts
You will really not be able to spray anything on the trunk body mount bolts unless you drill through the trunk floor. The bolts are located just behind the axle where the frame straightens out under the trunk. As far as drilling up though the floor, it is just a thought. If it was me, I would use a long punch to knock the nut out of the way, and then drill through the original hole, or just start cutting a hole from the top. The nut is located right under the large triangular brace connecting the quarter to the floor. Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts