Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible or adviseable to install body bushing on a 65 Chevelle without completely removing the body from the frame? This is something I wish I had done earlier on in my restoration. I am leaning toward PST poly bushings. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Check out the Chevelle Tech Reference Archives on the Main Page of this board. There are a couple of articles which discuss it there.

I decided to go with the rubber bushings because I was told by a number of people that the Polygraphite ones make nasty squeaking sounds. Besides, I'm not convinced that there is any real benefit from using the poly bushings for the body mounts. Places like the arms would benefit from them because they are always being "used actively"
compared to the body bushings.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Marvin - I did this on my 65 with a PST polygraphite kit. It comes with everything but the bolts (you should replace the bolts with new ones - no need to do this ever again). I backed out all of the bolts and did one side at a time. I placed a 4' 2x4 along the side on the frame and jacked it up until I could get the bushings out. There are several articles on the site if you search. I am very happy with the PST kit. Good luck.
Jeff

·
Registered
738 Posts
Marvin, you will like the rubber units better if you are into more of a "stock suspension feel" - kind of soft and flexible. The polygraphite peices will stiffen your ride up quite a bit, especially in the cornering department. The poly units do not allow the body to roll on the frame in the turns like the rubber ones do. It is nothing like having a solid mount though - it will not jarr your teeth out of your skull.

I have used the PST poly body mount kit for over a year now and have yet to hear any squeeks. I have heard of this problem occuring before but mine have worked out very well. Have fun with your selection!

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I'm using PST part's all around also. Very happy with how the car handle's,no,it's not too rough of a ride and no squeak's to speak of. You should be able to replace the body mount's without doing a complete take off, but if those bolt's break off inside the body you're looking at taking it off the frame, really not too hard of a job. Good luck, Narti

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.