Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently doing a frame-up restoration on a '72 Chevelle SS. All body botls were removed with no problem except the bolt just infront of the rear drivers side wheel. When trying to remove the bolt, it just keeps turning (when tightening OR losening). The Hex part is not stripped. Any suggestion on how I might get this bolt out???? I have considered using a sawz-all, cutting the bolt through body bushing, but I still need to get this bolt out when it comes time to put on the body back on with new bolts and bushings. Please help!!!!! Thanks, Tom

H

·
0 Posts
I dont think you have anything to lose by cutting the bolt as you describe. Once the body is off you can cut it close to the body and then drill out the old bolt. You can then try and tap the threads but likely the nut is stripped as well. Not much choice then but to replace the nut. This is best done by cutting through the floor aboce the nut, cut 3 sides of a square opening about 2 inches square, bend the metal up on the third side, replace the nut and then fold the floor back and mig weld in place, The fix wont show from the underside of the car.

good luck
Gary

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
Usually this is the result of having the "cage nut" or weld nut break loose and the nut spins. Hoffman's suggestion of burning the head off the bolt is probably the best. Then you can deal with the nut when the body is off. This will probably entail a little cutting of some body metal so that a new nut can be installed.

[This message has been edited by JWagner (edited 12-29-1999).]

·
Registered
31 Posts
What I have seen in these cases is the "cage" holding the nut deflects up on one side and lets the square nut spin. Drill about a 3/8" hole to allow access with a big screw driver and force the "cage" down. With a little penetrating oil applied you should be able to turn the bolt out.

W

·
0 Posts
This summer I took the frame out of my 67 and had a problem with one bolt, the one in front of the drivers side rear wheel. They sure don't make it easy to fix it. I cut it off with a saws all, now I need to hack open the body to repair the nut, some fun.

This body off deal has turned into a giant pain in the ass!

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Cutting the floor to get to the nut reminds me- would this work on an El Camino except it would be cutting through the bed?

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino aka Kaileigh
Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Factory Dual Exhaust
Non-SS with Factory Rallies!
TH-350 Automatic - 2.73 Posi Rear
My El Camino Home Page - www.dreamelectric.com

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
Wally i had the same thing on my 67 a few years ago except on both sides. I drilled a 2" hole above the two nuts.Then i just held the nuts with a socket to tighten. I got two 2" plastic access plugs from Year One # 7025n to fill the holes. Looks like they came from the factory. And i always have access to them. Looks better then cutting and mig would as there not much room to work behind the seat.

------------------
CFR.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This just happened to me. You will have to drill the bolt head off the end of the bolt. Then once you get the body off, drill two holes on either side of the now turning bolt. Use these two holes with a srewdriver to hold one side of the nut so you can back the bolt out. Now use the two holes that you made to tack (as in weld the nut)nut into place. Grind weld smooth and no one will know the difference.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wound up using a Dremel to cut the head off the bolt. Went through about 20 cutoff wheels before I found the reinforced kind, then it was a breeze.

------------------
Jeff Schramm
'65 300 Deluxe (L6)
Member #283

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,650 Posts
I had that happen with the 1st one behind the rear axle, under the trunk floor. I lucked out . The bolt came part way loose then started spinning the cage nut. I was able to stick a small screwdriver up through the bolt hole, between the bolt and body. This wedged the whole assembly enough to one side that the cage nut caught on something and stopped spinning. Got the bolt out. Then on reassembly with lubed up new bolt, I used a screwdriver between the frame and body to wedge the cage nut down against the body. This was enough to keep it from spinning while I tightened the bolt. Probably won't work in many cases, but worth a try before cutting.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS Murphy's Law is always in effect

·
Registered
25 Posts
Jack the body up putting all the weight on the nut that is spinning,this may put it in enough of a bind so you can break it loose,worked for me !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.