Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first quote on the body work for my car, he said 8-15k. He refused to do anything but perfect work. Problem is, I dont want perfect work done. I just want the panels that are badly rusted replaced, nothing else. I just want the driver side quarter replaced, and the two areas behind the front fenders. How much should I be looking for to do this? Im just going to use body filler on the rest of the rust. BTW, i know this belongs in the body forum, but I never get any replies to my posts there.

------------------
Justin Kramer
[email protected]
1968 Chevelle 300 Deluxe Sport Coupe 350ci
1978 Malibu Classic 305ci
Everyone wants their car to look stock and haul ass, my car looks ass; hauls stock.

·
Registered
716 Posts
[email protected]!! Thats a lot of money!! I dunno' I could buy a real nice car for that much.

A ¼ and a patch panel? Sounds high to me. I am paying a couple grand for having some rust cut out and the steel replaced.

Sorry not much help.

Tim

[This message has been edited by BLU69 (edited 12-09-2001).]

G

·
If that's the kind of work your looking for, go to another shop. Don't expect someone with a body shop that carries a reputation for top of the line work to do compromised work. This shop has a reputation to keep and if someone saw your car which might be less than his normal work, the potential customer may think less of this shops work, even though it was what you requested.

Only you know what budget you can afford, so keep looking and you will find a shop willing to work with you, your car and your budget.

------------------
Malibumotorsports
79 Malibu, 414 ci BBC, 3550 lbs.
10.75 @ 125 mph, 1.49 60'

·
Registered
514 Posts
Im in the process of dealing with this now actually. They quoted me that same 5-6k number as well for the whole rear half of the car. Thats just out of control so i started stripping the car my self and found that most of the rust isn't that bad. Probably 3/4 fenders could do the job. did you strip the car to really see what was good and what wasn't?

------------------
1970 chevelle
406 - TH-350 - soon to be 411's
engine
Interior
"When life hands you lemons, ask for a bottle of tequila and salt."

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
The only way to avoid such costs is to do much of the work yourself, especially the stripping.

My dad has always been able to get decent work done by dealer bodymen "on the side" at good prices. I've seen him pull this off several times over the years.

These guys are not so concerned with their shop's reputation since they don't own a shop. Often they know someone who'll let them use their shop for side jobs. They are professionals who'd like to own their own shop someday.

Go to the local car dealers and see if some of their paint and body guys are willing to do anything on the side. But be very discreet about it. You don't want to get anyone in trouble.

------------------
My Web Page (updated 11-24-01)

"America will endure!"

Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #04556
'68 El Camino

G

·
That price is a blow off price. They don't want to be bothered. If you bite it's a home run since the price is more than double what it might be worth.

Don't you just love body and paint guys???

Production shops that do work on insurance claims won't do work like this, ties up the shop way to long. The resto guys have been smelling paint and thinner fumes way to long and think that their work will some day hang in a museum.

I don't have a clue what the answer is?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I almost want to second the blow off price but i will definately second doing most of the work yourself… If they charge by the hour and they would have spent 12 hours stripping… CA-CHING…that equalls some big bucks for a simple project and its kinda fun to

------------------
1970 chevelle
406 - TH-350 - soon to be 411's
engine
Interior
"When life hands you lemons, ask for a bottle of tequila and salt."

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem is, I have no power, light, or heat out where the car is. So I am very limited to what I can do on it. Im sure of exactly what it needs, as is listed above. The guy said he wont do anything short of the complete body, I dont want paint or anything, just the actual pieces put in.

------------------
Justin Kramer
[email protected]
Everyone wants their car to look stock and haul ass, my car looks ass; hauls stock.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
The price is a blow off price its just a nice way us body man tell people to hit the road.

The winter months of the year are the worst to bring your car into a shop for a redo. Its the busist time of year with the snow flying causing people to crash and deer running around. Body shops love this time of year cause its fast easy money, there is no easier fix then a deer hit.

Bring your car into a body shop in the spring or summer when its slow and jobs are hard to come by.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I'm the guy Cjlandry is talking about!And don't say you dont get any replies Moloko,i said Email me In your other post, I'm 45 minutes from you!And about the resto guys comment that Wally made thats B.S,If someone wants a show quality job that is going to be analyzed and looked at under a microscope by judges and others it takes time and time = $.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Justin,
I think you have to ask yourself, "How in love with this car am I ?"
The 68 in my sig is my second one, had the first one when I was 17, 35 now.
Concider spending the money on a cleaner body maybe. And switch over the goodies from your car might be the most cost effective.
I bought my current car for less than 8,000, 3 years ago, and its a genuine SS-396, 4sp, discbrake, bucket seat car. I've spent more since, but I can't complain, for what I got in it I'm happy.
(oh and thats the paint that was on the car when I bought it)

------------------
They say I'm crazy, but I have a good time.
<A HREF="http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/thads68.jpg" TARGET=_blank>
68 SS-396</A>
<A HREF="http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/68vette.jpg" TARGET=_blank>
68 Corvette</A>

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Need to have the car done by April or I wont pass high school. We have this senior project thing in PA. It is a project you have to complete to graduate. You have to present your project infront of a board of teachers, and if they pass you, then you pass high school. My car is my project. Everything else is done, interior, engine, everything. Just need the body work now.

------------------
Justin Kramer
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
I went through this 2 years ago and will be starting another quarter replacement (both)within the next 2 weeks. After going through one, using the 3/4 panels, my recommendation would be to do the full quarter replacement. If the rust can be replaced below the style line and doesn't run the entire length of the the quarter use the patch panels. If the quarter is excessively rusty replace with full quarters. 3/4 panels may cost no more than $200 each, but it may cost $400 to $500 each in finish work to smooth the weld lines to make them invisible.
I'll be better prepared to tell you the horror stories of installing the full quarters in a month or so. I have realized I need to do the metal work myself because I want to know what's under the paint and that most paint shops don't want to take a dirty project like this. I just wish I had a plasma cutter.
I'll have NOS quarters, aftermarket outer wheelhouses and probably replacement trunk floor extensions. With parts and materials I'll have around $2500.00 plus personal aggravation in the quarter replacement.

Ed C.

70SS 396/350 4speed red/white
70SS LS6 4speed blue/black
00 C5 6speed

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Wally after reading what 70isfine wrote and rereading what you wrote about us "PAINT AND BODY MAN" that comment really stuck in my a$$ and you have no idea how pissed that made me.

I work in a small production shop that does the occassily resto but consider myself one of those "RESTO GUYS". And to be called that we are nothing but a bunch of money hungy crooks by some ignorent dillhole like yourself! I bust my a$$ day in and day out to make someones car look brand new and all I hear from them is how much it costs and why it took so long, you know a nice job or thanks goes a longs ways.

Iam willing to bet you are the type of guy that never block sanded a car to perfection or spent hours to fix a dent so that no bondo would be used..am I right. But instead you would rather just sit back and bitch about the price or how we do it or call us crooks. Ive got thousands of dollars invested in tools and years of practice and hard work invested just so I can labor over someone elses piece of sh*t the last thing I need is someone like you telling me that, me and my kind and our job is a joke to you.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Anyone who thinks body work is easy go ahead and try it. You'll get nowhere, except in to a mess. I been doing this for 15 years now and every body wants it for free. Ive run into ignorant people who want it done for less than the cost of materials. So we put a sign out front that said free paint jobs! It was funnie. We said we'll paint her for free the cost of prep work is such and such. Aw boo hoo.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Wally,i see you are a network engineer,what do es it cost a company to have a network set up and maintained?I bet a lot more than 40-60 an hour.How would you feel if i said thats a rip off to have to pay that for some pencil neck geek who probably got a degree from some fly by night bootcamp to press a few buttons and run a few wires?

[This message has been edited by 70isfine (edited 12-12-2001).]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.