Chevelles.com banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,480 Posts
Fair enough. I will pay attention the the front. I wasn't because it was coming up and seemed to be working. I will pull the shocks off and try to figure out the settings. No I do not use Ny-lock nuts but I do check them before each time going to the track. Not each run but each outing. So far they haven't budged. I also spray WD40 on the bushings before I leave the house. Don't know if that helps or not. :confused:

That car is so safe it isn't funny. I have seen sh!t going down the track with rusted parts but they have a roll bar, etc.. Mine is way safer than you would believe. It is a friggin tank! :thumbsup:
Del, I wasn't jumping on tne bandwagon that got all over your case about your car not being "safe" in that other thread. I'm just saying that I don't see a reason not to have either double nutted the arms, or use Ny-lock nuts. If they're regular nuts, I'd be watching them close! Just think about one of them coming off.

As far as the wheelie thing, I know you've said before that you want the car to wheelie, but I would be focusing on a better 60 foot time if I were you even though your present one is great. I only say that, because look at the guys on here who have Chevelles who are launching with good sized wheelies every time their cars hook....I believe just about every one is turning 1.3 second short times. It seems that atleast with most Chevelles running in the low 10 second/high 9 second neighborhood, I'm not so sure you can separate the two (1.3's and very obvious and regular wheelies).

Crazy Davey comes to mind as far as someone with a Chevelle launching with wheels up and running 1.4 second short times, but I get the impression from what he has posted that his wheels-up launches are not as often, and not as high as guys like Bob West, Vinny Jr., Pat Steele (aka "Fatrat70" )and Guy Lomack do. And all of those guys run 1.3 second 60' times. (I didn't list Garret although he is another one in the 1.3's because he has a Camaro and some guys might argue that his car is not a good comparison simply because it has a shorter wheelbase, so that introduces another variable).

My point is that you might not attain that goal of yours until you get the car to launch a little harder, so it's getting into the 1.3's pretty consistently (not just when the DA is great either). I'm sure that whatever Bob has told you will only help, since both his and his son's car are launching fantastic. But don't overlook what the front end is doing. I know that Bob used to use Koni front shocks, and he said he did pretty good with them, and I believe that he uses Santhuffs in the front now (which isn't anything that he hasn't already posted on this board in the past, so It isn't like I'm exposng anyone's secrets here). But if for an example your car happens to be heavier in the front than Bob's car is, then you might have to pay some closer attention to the front shocks than you have been. Atleast as far as what settings you have them on anyway. Just a thought. I wish you well. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Del, I wasn't jumping on tne bandwagon that got all over your case about your car not being "safe" in that other thread. I'm just saying that I don't see a reason not to have either double nutted the arms, or use Ny-lock nuts. If they're regular nuts, I'd be watching them close! Just think about one of them coming off.

As far as the wheelie thing, I know you've said before that you want the car to wheelie, but I would be focusing on a better 60 foot time if I were you even though your present one is great. I only say that, because look at the guys on here who have Chevelles who are launching with good sized wheelies every time their cars hook....I believe just about every one is turning 1.3 second short times. It seems that atleast with most Chevelles running in the low 10 second/high 9 second neighborhood, I'm not so sure you can separate the two (1.3's and very obvious and regular wheelies).

Crazy Davey comes to mind as far as someone with a Chevelle launching with wheels up and running 1.4 second short times, but I get the impression from what he has posted that his wheels-up launches are not as often, and not as high as guys like Bob West, Vinny Jr., Pat Steele (aka "Fatrat70" )and Guy Lomack do. And all of those guys run 1.3 second 60' times. (I didn't list Garret although he is another one in the 1.3's because he has a Camaro and some guys might argue that his car is not a good comparison simply because it has a shorter wheelbase, so that introduces another variable).

My point is that you might not attain that goal of yours until you get the car to launch a little harder, so it's getting into the 1.3's pretty consistently (not just when the DA is great either). I'm sure that whatever Bob has told you will only help, since both his and his son's car are launching fantastic. But don't overlook what the front end is doing. I know that Bob used to use Koni front shocks, and he said he did pretty good with them, and I believe that he uses Santhuffs in the front now (which isn't anything that he hasn't already posted on this board in the past, so It isn't like I'm exposng anyone's secrets here). But if for an example your car happens to be heavier in the front than Bob's car is, then you might have to pay some closer attention to the front shocks than you have been. Atleast as far as what settings you have them on anyway. Just a thought. I wish you well. ;)

Your good. I'm still learning.....:yes:

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
It absolutely amazes me how freaking constant Bobs car is. You have that car working about as well as it ever could. Hats off to ya:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
13,480 Posts
It absolutely amazes me how freaking constant Bobs car is. You have that car working about as well as it ever could. Hats off to ya:thumbsup:
I haven't any doubt that Bob is the crowd pleaser at whatever track he goes to. A great way to represent Chevelles as far as Im concerned. :yes:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Congrats Del. With Gateway closing I am planning a Sikeston trip as well. Just not sure which car I am going to bring. I'd like to take the Cutlass first because I am wanting to take it on drag week but really want to see how the Monte is going to do with the suspension and fuel system lined out. Would like to make some 5 sec passes with it and some low 6's with the Cutlass. U give up on the e85?

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Congrats Del. With Gateway closing I am planning a Sikeston trip as well. Just not sure which car I am going to bring. I'd like to take the Cutlass first because I am wanting to take it on drag week but really want to see how the Monte is going to do with the suspension and fuel system lined out. Would like to make some 5 sec passes with it and some low 6's with the Cutlass. U give up on the e85?
Cool. You have my number. Call me when you are coming up. Nope haven't given up on it yet. Just enjoying it on the Alky for the time being. I need my wideband before I give the E85 a shot again. Plus, I will mix my own for the track. :yes:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Sounds good. I hear they have a limited street/drag radial deal this weekend

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Sounds good. I hear they have a limited street/drag radial deal this weekend
Yep Friday Night. I really wanted to race this but my oldest son graduates from Mizzou this Friday. Can't miss that. :noway:

·
Registered
126 Posts
The videos are sick! .............the midwest boyz be gettin it done! Seriously, those are two of the baddest Chevelles I've seen :thumbsup:Thanks for sharing :)

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
It was nice to meet you also Joe. I love that Nova, its a beautiful car!! :yes:
I didn't get to meet Joe. I wasn't a celebrity like Bob. :sad: But Bob is correct. That Nova had a wicked color scheme for a paint job. Absolutely beautiful! :thumbsup:

The videos are sick! .............the midwest boyz be gettin it done! Seriously, those are two of the baddest Chevelles I've seen :thumbsup:Thanks for sharing :)
Not sure if you were talking about mine also or Tricky Ricky's and Bob's. If so thanks. I take great pride in it. I know Bob does also. I do plan to come down on a Friday night if that's what it takes. I want to get a 1/4 mile pass in it. I will be my car lays down a faster time then people expect. It pulls ridicoulsly hard at the top end. What's crazy is you can "feel" it wake up when I hit 7,000 rpms. If I let it spin to 7300 or even 7400 I bet it drops another tenth. However, until Mark tells me I can it won't see above 7100. :noway:

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
Thanks all!

Slowly but surely...

Yes, it was the box. Got fried when they welded on the exhaust and didn't unhook it. Bud Light! :beers:

I'm up...I'll have more pics and videos posted in the next hour. :yes:

UMI was kind enough to send me a new set of Relocation Brackets. They even overnighted them. I was very impressed. This time they were a great fit. Friday night I hit a 1.43 and my extension was tightened pretty good. Saturday Night I continued to tighten and it wasn't getting better. I then realized I wasn't unloading the tires so I clicked them 8 clicks soft which is actually only 2 clicks from where I left off from last night with my 1.43. The track was better because of all the cars down the track. I also went UP 1lb of air pressure. My car likes 16lbs on the drag radial. We also found out my car prefers the air cleaner on instead of off. Still haven't played with timing or jetting. Will try that in a couple weeks. Can't race next weekend. My kid graduates from College at Mizzou. :yes:
Del, the guys who run Drag Radials tell me they bite best with 18-20 lbs. of air. Wider wheels plant them better too. What size rims do you have now?

·
Premium Member
13,693 Posts
He was chasing tire pressures too. I drove my car slow around the pits to warm it up, came back to the pits, set my tire pressure at 20psi (radial slicks) and never checked them again. The track was a hookin mofo, I think he needs to try a higher tire pressure ;)

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
He was chasing tire pressures too. I drove my car slow around the pits to warm it up, came back to the pits, set my tire pressure at 20psi (radial slicks) and never checked them again. The track was a hookin mofo, I think he needs to try a higher tire pressure ;)

I agree with you and Harold but I had to try lowering it first. My best is at 16lbs so far but plan to try raising the air pressure now. I have a 15x10 rim.

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
61 - 80 of 89 Posts