Chevelles.com banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The car must be really pretty to watch. Not to sound like a broken record here, but I just wish that I lived closer to you guys over there so I could get to watch. The vids posted are the next best thing, but it sure isn't like being there.

I'm thinking that with a 1.40 second short time, you weren't getting any tire spin at all. But correct me on that if you were. What rear gear and stall speed RPM are you running? BTW, do you have main jet extensions in the secondary bowl of that carb?
I was spinning but just a tad bit. Not much. Enough that I think with the slicks I would hit 1.35 like Bob but without the wheelie. :thumbsup: Maybe we'll throw it on next time just to see how the 60ft does. Make a couple passes with the drag radials and then swap to the slicks.

I am running a 4.10 gear and an Mark Jones "spec'd" ATI! :thumbsup: I do have to say, that my th350 has been holding up pretty well for stock components, trans cooler, and deep pan! So much for breaking after the first pass. Nice job on the trans Skip :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
That is a darn quick street car. :thumbsup:
No rollbar??? Was tech blind that day?:)
You'd be booted for the season around here with a pass like that and no bar.:noway:
That's cool! Maybe I could come up, make my 1 9 sec pass and say "see ya!" :D

·
Premium Member
7,015 Posts
I was spinning but just a tad bit. Not much. Enough that I think with the slicks I would hit 1.35 like Bob but without the wheelie. :thumbsup: Maybe we'll throw it on next time just to see how the 60ft does. Make a couple passes with the drag radials and then swap to the slicks.

I am running a 4.10 gear and an Mark Jones "spec'd" ATI! :thumbsup: I do have to say, that my th350 has been holding up pretty well for stock components, trans cooler, and deep pan! So much for breaking after the first pass. Nice job on the trans Skip :thumbsup:
I thought that was impossible Del....:D

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Thanks man!

In my defense though I was running a drag radial not a slick.

I ran them in the bottom hole. Still barely got the tires off the ground but a 1.40 isn't too bad on Drag radials.

I did run a new best though of 6.31 with a 1.40 60ft so I was very pleased with the night.

Seen Bob so it on Drag Radials more then a few times!

·
Premium Member
13,693 Posts
Delbert, MT drag radials will slow you down because they are heavier, Hoosiers will hook just as good as their slicks and be just as fast. I'd keep going up on air pressure and bump that timing up a little ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Dang, that green car is efficient and consistent. Bet you've made a few bucks with it huh Bob. Looks like everyone drives a Chevelle in Missouri. I wish the guys around here showed the same sportsmanship you guys do. We've got another track about an our and a half from here and it's always an "us against them" attitude from both camps. Looked like fun.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Delbert, MT drag radials will slow you down because they are heavier, Hoosiers will hook just as good as their slicks and be just as fast. I'd keep going up on air pressure and bump that timing up a little ;)
Well, I sure aint telling you you are wrong that's for sure! :noway: You have proven it time and again. However, I don't think anyone thought I would get a 1.40 60ft at my power level with the UMI relocation brackets either. So, I think it would be helpful to others to at least do the back to back test on the same day. With no additonal changes. My slicks are fairly new. They are from last year but only have about 10 passes on them if that.

On a side note though. Last year when we spoke about the relocation brackets it was Bob who said that I should still try them because it would help because of the IC shortening. :yes:

I will try a little more air in the drag radial though but for now will leave it and try bumping my timing up a degree at a time. I am currently at 37 which is where we dyno'd it. However, I may be able to go up to 40 since I am running the Alky at the track.

Did I mention this thing drives awesome on the street? Yeah no windshield wipers but.....I did drive it up there in the rain. :thumbsup: If I go by myself I just fill the tank up full and expect to run a little slower. Load up the tool box and go. No tanker truck needed. However, when my buddy John goes we like to bring the "barn" for just in cases. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Way toooo cool.
Nice to put a face to a legend like Bob on the forum eh Delbert. Even cooler to race against him.
A drag about the issues Bob...but hey good memories are earned.
cheers.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Anybody got any questions?
Why are they different isnt it ideal to get the same? ...

Just wondering del how high your front fender is in the center of the wheel opening from the ground and what size of front tires? Congrats on the new bests im sure there are more to come.

·
Premium Member
13,693 Posts
Why are they different isnt it ideal to get the same? ...

Just wondering del how high your front fender is in the center of the wheel opening from the ground and what size of front tires? Congrats on the new bests im sure there are more to come.
Surely you arent serious :confused: You're talking 1000ths of a second.

·
Premium Member
13,480 Posts
This will likely cause a firestorm, although that isn't my intention, so I have to say this: maybe you need to get that car to wheelie a little bit to stop the tire spin completely. You might want to focus on more weight transfer if that's possible. I always forget the details of your combo (sorry). I know that you have the Santhuff front springs in there, but what front shocks do you have? And what about the front control arm nuts? Have you double-nutted them? if not, do you have del-u-lum (sp?) control arm bushings? I'm just guessing since it's pretty tough to see what the front of your car is doing from that rear angle of the camera in that video, but I'm wondering if you need a little bit more weight transfer yet.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

X2 man
a few thou difference run to run in the 60ft is great

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Way toooo cool.
Nice to put a face to a legend like Bob on the forum eh Delbert. Even cooler to race against him.
A drag about the issues Bob...but hey good memories are earned.
cheers.
It was actually more cool than I can put into words. I had been talking about him coming down for a very long time. Then for the rain, my blown head gasket, the Msd box going bad, etc...I felt like we were fighting demons. I enjoyed it more than anything else. The absolute best part was when we first launched and I could see him to the side wheels up, knowing that I was gaining on him. That felt pretty good. So that is my bragging rights. However, I will say this...Bob West is 10x's the driver I am. He knows his car up and down and knows what it is going to take and what the number is going to be. He was deadly consistent especially considering how the tree was throwing him off the first several passes. Also, to get the chance to race against "Tricky Ricky" in the semi's is even more cool. I will cherish the moment I get a chance to race him also. He runs 6.18-6.20. So if I ever get my car down close, I will just dial the same number he dials just to go heads up.

This may not make sense but the winning is not what drives me. It is the driving the car and the competing. I get a total thrill heads up and it diminishes with bracket racing. If I win that's great but running a faster number is what I enjoy. By this fall I will have a few more tricks up my sleeve that Bob told me that he hasn't even tried yet. I am going to try them. So remember I said this... I will be in the 6 teens without spray and without slicks by the fall..Any takers?

Del. glad the trans is holding up for you when all done i see you in the 6.20s
Thanks Skip :thumbsup: You built one hell of a th350 so far. Very impressed it hasn't broken. Never misses a beat. Keeps the weight down also. You are probably right but 6.12 is the goal. :D (Skips best is 6.13:yes:)

This will likely cause a firestorm, although that isn't my intention, so I have to say this: maybe you need to get that car to wheelie a little bit to stop the tire spin completely. You might want to focus on more weight transfer if that's possible. I always forget the details of your combo (sorry). I know that you have the Santhuff front springs in there, but what front shocks do you have? And what about the front control arm nuts? Have you double-nutted them? if not, do you have del-u-lum (sp?) control arm bushings? I'm just guessing since it's pretty tough to see what the front of your car is doing from that rear angle of the camera in that video, but I'm wondering if you need a little bit more weight transfer yet.
I have over 6" of front end travel now. I have the santhuff front springs, Koni Classics (not sure what setting they are on) All stock control arms and bushings. They are loosened several turns but not double nutted. Shocks are double nutted. The front end comes about 1 ft off the ground for about 40-50ft if you watch in slow motion. And wether the wheelie helps me or not I want it for the "cool" factor, plain and simple! :yes:

My next additions are a underdriven crank pulley, another battery in the trunk just in case alternator doesn't charge enough, going to change the exhaust using something that Bob was told by Ed B. Yes, I am going to cut my ceramic coated headers. :yes:

·
Premium Member
13,480 Posts
I have over 6" of front end travel now. I have the santhuff front springs, Koni Classics (not sure what setting they are on) All stock control arms and bushings. They are loosened several turns but not double nutted. Shocks are double nutted. The front end comes about 1 ft off the ground for about 40-50ft if you watch in slow motion. And wether the wheelie helps me or not I want it for the "cool" factor, plain and simple! :yes:

My next additions are a underdriven crank pulley, another battery in the trunk just in case alternator doesn't charge enough, going to change the exhaust using something that Bob was told by Ed B. Yes, I am going to cut my ceramic coated headers. :yes:
Del, I know that 6" of travel is great, but that doesn't mean that you have that 6" of travel working for you the best that it can be working. What I mean is that having an adequate amount of front travel is a needed ingedient sure, but it isn't the only ingredient required. You've been paying attention to your rear shock settings, and that can only be a good thing, but just a suggestion here....if you aren't even aware of what the settings are on your front shocks, then that might be an indication that you need to pay atleast as much attention to the front shocks as you have been the rear. ;)

And did i hear you right? You have the control arm nuts backed off a couple turns, but they aren't double nutted????!!!! Are you atleast using Ny-lock nuts so they don't back off too much? If not, that sounds like a safety issue to me. I hope that you're keeping a very good eye on them after every single run if that is the case! :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Del, I know that 6" of travel is great, but that doesn't mean that you have that 6" of travel working for you the best that it can be working. What I mean is that having an adequate amount of front travel is a needed ingedient sure, but it isn't the only ingredient required. You've been paying attention to your rear shock settings, and that can only be a good thing, but just a suggestion here....if you aren't even aware of what the settings are on your front shocks, then that might be an indication that you need to pay atleast as much attention to the front shocks as you have been the rear. ;)

And did i hear you right? You have the control arm nuts backed off a couple turns, but they aren't double nutted????!!!! Are you atleast using Ny-lock nuts so they don't back off too much? If not, that sounds like a safety issue to me. I hope that you're keeping a very good eye on them after every single run if that is the case! :eek:
Fair enough. I will pay attention the the front. I wasn't because it was coming up and seemed to be working. I will pull the shocks off and try to figure out the settings. No I do not use Ny-lock nuts but I do check them before each time going to the track. Not each run but each outing. So far they haven't budged. I also spray WD40 on the bushings before I leave the house. Don't know if that helps or not. :confused:

That car is so safe it isn't funny. I have seen sh!t going down the track with rusted parts but they have a roll bar, etc.. Mine is way safer than you would believe. It is a friggin tank! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nice to meet you Bob. You had a good night. I was at the finish line when you raced the orange chevelle...a future note in case you come back. He runs on alcohol and been racing for ever, probably wanted to try to make you overhear or something. I was the one in the Nova you put on the trailer in the second round...LOL. I think I figured out what was up with my 60'. Usually on the footbrake I'm between 1:39-1.41, last night i was around 1.44-1.47. Over the winter I was checking over things and noticed my anti-roll bars that connect the rearend to the pivot bar were bent and made some replacement bars for it. I think I must have something wrong. I switched from DOT to slicks but I did not spin any so it must be that. That's the bad thing, no test and tune yet. Since Gateway closed, its 2 hours to a track for me and hard to make on a Friday night test and tune. It was not too crowded last night due to weather and flooding. Sikeston does get some a few big money races a year down there that pulls in a big crowd. Hope you come back some time.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Lol figured id get a response something like that. Gad I dont know how you do it if i can get em to stay within a hundreth im doing good. Your car works awesome.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts