Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the waite was finally over and Bob West was able to make it down to the Sikeston drag strip. When he arrived it was still raining but we were optimistic. The rain finally stopped around 3pm and the clouds went away so we could have our showdown.

First let me say, that is was an absolute pleasure to meet Bob. Just a real down to earth guy. Let me and my buddy John look his whole car over to take some mental notes to improve on our car.

Bob's day wasn't starting out to good. I am sure he will set me straight if I get anything wrong. I don't take notes on this stuff. First his fuel filter was clogged after his car nosed over on the top end. Next the car got very hot and his relay on his fan wasn't working. Finally, our tree was really throwing him for a loop. Still with all that he made it to the semi final round against one of the best racers in the area, Rick Thomas, aka "Tricky" Ricky! I have a bad ass video to post on that later.

Anyways....Bob and I only got two runs against each other. I will post the time slips for everyone to see. The adjustments we made to night really picked up the car and allowed me to set some new personal bests. Oh so close to the 1.30's for a 60ft. However, I drove it up, lost some races, won some races, drank a few beers and watch Bob, and then drove home. Even the wife and 4 kids got to come up and watch some. :yes:

This was our first pass against each other. I was the left lane and Bob was the right. I got a little excited and jumped the gun a little.

This was our second race. I am in the left again. I had made a few suspension adjustments as you will notice it greatly improved my 60ft.

This was the best pass of the night for me. I really thought I could hit a sub 6.30 as you see from my dial in. Oh well. Still a new best!

This is the video of the first pass between Bob and I. I will post more pics and videos later. It was off an I phone so not great.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
thats pretty cool! :)

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats pretty cool! :)
bad fast car...congrats Del!!
Thanks fellas. Off to bed now. Been up since 4 am. :( I am really happy with my times. I think I have the suspension tuned about as good as I can for now. Next time I will play with the timing. See what that does. I shifter first to second around 6800 and second to third around 7100 this time. I had a 7300 pill in it and never hit the limiter. So I am pleased with that. I also changed my oil again before heading up there today. I wished I could of hit the 6.20's but oh so close. I think the timing adjustments and a little jetting will get me right there.

I will post some more videos tomorrow. The video of those two in the semi final is really wicked. One of the best races I have seen. :yes:

·
Premium Member
13,008 Posts
Nice :beers:

·
Premium Member
13,480 Posts
Delbert & Bob, real kool guys. Both your cars are looking great running down that track. Del, thanks for posting the video, and it's great to see your short times improving. :yes:

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
congrats Del, you got it flying-was it the ign box?
you forgot the most important info, what brand of beer, lol

·
Registered
632 Posts
Time to get up Del! We need more video's.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Very cool! :thumbsup: So, what was the ignition issue?
What susp. changes did you make?
Looks like a 9sec 1/4 pass to me!
You have endured more than most could with that car. I applaude you for your determination. :beers::beers:

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Del
Glad you got it running to make it this weekend.
You have a fast car.

Dave
Nice :beers:
Pretty cool :thumbsup:
Thanks all!

Delbert & Bob, real kool guys. Both your cars are looking great running down that track. Del, thanks for posting the video, and it's great to see your short times improving. :yes:
Slowly but surely...

congrats Del, you got it flying-was it the ign box?
you forgot the most important info, what brand of beer, lol
Yes, it was the box. Got fried when they welded on the exhaust and didn't unhook it. Bud Light! :beers:

Time to get up Del! We need more video's.
I'm up...I'll have more pics and videos posted in the next hour. :yes:

Very cool! :thumbsup: So, what was the ignition issue?
What susp. changes did you make?
Looks like a 9sec 1/4 pass to me!
You have endured more than most could with that car. I applaude you for your determination. :beers::beers:
UMI was kind enough to send me a new set of Relocation Brackets. They even overnighted them. I was very impressed. This time they were a great fit. Friday night I hit a 1.43 and my extension was tightened pretty good. Saturday Night I continued to tighten and it wasn't getting better. I then realized I wasn't unloading the tires so I clicked them 8 clicks soft which is actually only 2 clicks from where I left off from last night with my 1.43. The track was better because of all the cars down the track. I also went UP 1lb of air pressure. My car likes 16lbs on the drag radial. We also found out my car prefers the air cleaner on instead of off. Still haven't played with timing or jetting. Will try that in a couple weeks. Can't race next weekend. My kid graduates from College at Mizzou. :yes:

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Both cars seem to be dialed in pretty good judging by the slip numbers. Sounds like a real good time.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Sounds like you all had fun. Last I heard from Bob the DA was around 1800' or so. Not bad for this time of year.

Have you ran your car across the scales lately Del?

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
Sounds like you all had fun. Last I heard from Bob the DA was around 1800' or so. Not bad for this time of year.

Looks like a lot of fun, and thats what its really all about!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very Cool ! Congrats Delbert - Both are very nice cars.
Both cars seem to be dialed in pretty good judging by the slip numbers. Sounds like a real good time.
Thanks. It's been a long time comeing! :hurray:

I have not. They are supposed to have the scales out but each time I go they have a reason they don't. I need to get up to the scales at my buddies work. The last time I weighed it it was 3950 with me in it. I have lost about 20lbs since then, I have put on a fiberglass bumper, aluminum water pump, and lighter tires and rims. I think I have to lost at least a 100lbs.

Looks like a lot of fun, and thats what its really all about!:thumbsup:
Thanks Mark. Haven't even started tuning the engine yet. ;)

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
That's good stuff Delbert...congrats on the new best & more to come no doubt:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's good stuff Delbert...congrats on the new best & more to come no doubt:thumbsup:
Thanks. We are getting there. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 89 Posts